Does anyone know what is required to be a builder

Discussion in 'Development' started by ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION, 8th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION

ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION Member

More specifically, apart from what the VBA site says, in victoria what happens after you are interviewed? thanks
    Nick

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do you mean what happens in the interview?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I can only recall what happens in NSW - interview & all documents/application/fees paid. Then you will be advised in due course.

4. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Interview in NSW?

Can you confirm that @Scott No Mates

Wasn't the case 12-18 Months ago has this changed?

5. Scott No Mates

Pretty sure I had a face to face 30 odd years ago at St Leonards Building Services Corporation when I applied & a 'viva voce' (full blown interview/grilling when I became a Chartered Builder at the Aust Institute of Building.

6. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Yes i think thats the old school way.

These days in NSW, You take your documentation to Service NSW and a robot with no emotion ticks items off a requirement list. It is Heavily scrutinised (I am sour due to an issue i had) and they may request bank statements etc.

Its a simple tick tick tick and if you get a cross... bye bye try again.
    They happily take your circa $1000 application fee regardless of the outcome.
    *my experience about 18-24 months ago

7. ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION

cost seems rediculous to me, 1000 no wonder there is a shortage of housing. Do you guys know if i become a developer and do some hands on work i can get my builders licence? thanks

8. Scott No Mates

Generally no.

Cert IV/Diploma as a minimum for a licence.

Check out pathways via HIA or TAFE.

9. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

Its really tough in NSW nowadays. Example, i have 10 years experience building all sorts of projects (shops, schools, aged care, car parks etc). But the requirement is explicitly residential houses for a builders licence. Also, to prove this you can no longer just apply with a letter of employment from a mate that is a builder, they go as far as looking at superannuation and payg contributions from the employer along with lists of projects completed and documentary evidence of your experience on these.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You mean they want to be sure you really were employed and got the experience you have stated when you fill out the application for a builder's licence?

Sounds fair enough to me. There is a lot of financial and physical risk involved in building - for the client and future owners and the builders employees.

teg499 likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Give HIA or MBA a call. They run courses to help you get ready.

12. The_Billy

Yes its fair, not even marginally close to my point though. My point is, even with years of experience in a closely aligned industry (commercial construction vs residential construction) I and many I know have no chance to be licenced. The criteria is a strict residential experience base. Nothing more or nothing less. In case somebody is hoping a ray of luck comes their way and they may get licenced by working with their mates on the weekend, or doing a development, owner building, doing a restaurant fit out.

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Its a bit of a catch 22. They want you to prove you have the experience running your building business, yet you would have to be running it illegally (not registered builder) in order to gain the portfolio and business/financial evidence

The_Billy likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why not just get taken on by a residential builder for a couple of years (assuming you are a chippy, bricklayer or doing construction management). Do you have a qualification?

Another option is to do a building degree or similar.

15. The_Billy

Just being real here: I've done all the qualifications / degrees so that is not a problem. I personally have a problem with motivation. My current role is lucrative enough to stop me from taking a pay cut for 2 years to start my own thing that might or might not work out. I've also witnessed people who have started successful residential construction companies and also do multiple profitable developments 'as a builder' by using another persons builders licence (mind you, these are people with no construction experience) I've also seen veteran project managers with a licence that are not doing anything with it. The way I look at it, they're just successful business men with the right flare and for them a builders licence was just another requirement to satisfy on their path to profit. If you really have the drive or the flare, you'll make it work some way or the other whether it is in construction or something completely different - business is business / working is working.

16. ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION

Yeah Im currently getting qualified at the moment, im studying a law degree but plan on doing a master of construction management, im also studying a diploma in building and construction while doing my apprenticeshp as a chippy, so i guess the qualifications and experience are on my side, i might start off as a developer and aquire a builders licence on the way

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Studying for a law degree, at the same time as apprenticing as a chippy and doing the Diploma in Building and Construction?

How are you managing to do all three at once?

18. Scott No Mates

Jack of all trades, master of none.

19. ELYSIANCONSTRUCTION

So apprenticeships during the day, diploma of building is online, and law degree is at night (part time, once a week).

Im trying to get into management, but my age (23) holds me back a lot i can already tell. I have assistant site manger experience and building admin experience working for familys business, i also worked at stockland for a bit on a university internship. its just a waiting game now until i finish my qualifications and can move onto my final - master of construction management.