Does anyone fix rates for more than 3 years?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Mason, 7th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mason

Mason Member

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone is brave/stupid enough to fix rates for more than 3 years? A few banks are offering fixed 5 years IO for 4.99% and I'm just trying to do the maths based on rates not going up until 2019:

2018 - make a loss as 4.99% will likely be higher then market rate
    2019 - make a loss as 4.99% will likely be higher then market rate
    2020-2022 - surely there's a chance that rates would start to get into the 6s or 7s and therefore 4.99% would be then looking pretty good and you'd end up on top?

Is another consideration that people don't like fixing for ages as it limits your ability to move banks/get equity out/use an offset?

Thanks! Mason

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Mason
    Just depends on your life plans. Do you intend to hold on to these properties long term? what could change between now and then that will result in you deciding to sell these properties?

Being able to move banks / extract equity is a valid enough reason to not fix for that long (depending on where the market is going) - goes back to how your borrowing capacity is, and whether there is still potential to expand your portfolio.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nope

4. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Yep - 5 years always.

I don't like variable. Love being able to plan years out from now and know exactly how much income/outgoings there will be across various IP's

And you can get better investor rates for 5 years fixed - 4.49% is offered to Australian investors for P+I by a number of banks.

(lol and not the same....but yes my USA PPOR is 30 years fixed.......love knowing that even though it cost me about 0.5% over a 10/1 year jumbo fixed that my mortgage for the next 27 years will be 3.5% - seemed like a bargain to me and with the fed raising rates and the current 30 year fixed jumbo at 3.95%....even more so these days)

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

3 years is usually the max I would recommend. It can be difficult to accurately plan beyond a few years and you don’t want to find yourself having to break a fixed loan (costs can be high).

Cheers

Jamie

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If your done accumulating (or have hit servicing wall hard) and have no intentions to sell in the next 5 years I would fix for the 5 years, but only for piece of mind, and knowing what my expenses are for the next 5 years. I wouldn’t do it if I had any plans to keep buying or withdraw equity though.

Dean Collins likes this.
  7. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Yes, fixed my IP for 5 years, IO.

I have no intention of selling this property anytime in the near future and the 4.51% IO rate was pretty attractive.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Many of our clients go for the surety of 5

In the old days 7 and 10 wasnt super rare either

ta
    rolf

9. Mason

Mason Member

Thanks for your thoughts...

Yeh I'm done accumulating (because I've hit the servicing wall hard and don't think this is going to change much in the next 5 years) and plan on keeping these properties long-term.

In regards to equity I think the unit market is going to be pretty flat for the next few years so might be hard to get much equity and I can survive by waiting for five years to get this anyway.

Overall I'm not thinking about fixing long-term for piece of mind, but more to save money, that's the principal driver. I don't have a crystal ball re what the rates will end up doing though!

10. Mason

Mason Member

4.51% IO is pretty good, who was that with? Was it fixed a while ago when the rates were better?

11. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

It's with CUA. This was their 5 years IO fixed rate at the time. It has gone up now.

I got in just in time before the APRA changes kicked in early this year and CUA actually stopped taking all investor clients. I believe they're now accepting them again.

upload_2017-11-8_12-38-37.png

12. Jobeki

Jobeki Well-Known Member

3.99% IO fixed for 4y in late 2016 with nab

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. TreeChange@50

TreeChange@50 Well-Known Member

If you split the loan you can fix part only and thereby still access your equity growth via the variable part.

Dean Collins likes this.
  14. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I had fixed at 4.89% for 5 years back in 2014. Probably cost me $1500 a year, but to be honest I was quite satisfied paying anything under 5 at the time.

Property has gone up in value by some $170,000 so it's much of a muchness.

15. Famil Man

Famil Man Well-Known Member

In the process of fixing 2/3 of PPOR loan for 3 years IO at 4.34% with CBA

16. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

I fixed a RAMS loan back in 2016 for 2 years 4.19%
    Just wanted stability at the time. My other loans with other major banks was about 4.21/4.34% so I wasn't particularly pleased with myself.

I'm thanking Bobby from 2016 for that decision.

teetotal likes this.
  17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes I am about to fix for 5 years at 4.49%, and have fixed for 5 years in the past. I think there is a reasonable risk that variable rates will climb to around 7-8% during that time frame.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I fixed three loans at 3.88% when they went off IO to P&I. I just fixed another one yesterday at 4.19% for another loan going off IO next month.

All fixed for two years. That was the cheapest rate, and also suits us as we will be doing something with our portfolio by then, and will want to not be locked in on all our loans in case we sell a house (subject to a fixed loan).

19. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I have some fixed loans now and I have fixed before. Never longer than 2 years. I broke a fixed loan about 6-8 months prior to its expiry to refinance earlier this year and the penalty was pretty minor. I wouldn’t fix longer term as my situation continues to change.

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

It is about trying to manage the money. not about being that much ahead or behind.

wylie likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia