Does anyone enforce contracts for renovations ??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kieran Doyle, 27th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kieran Doyle

Kieran Doyle Member

Hi, I have experience in contract admin and management. I am managing a renovation remotely due to COVID19.

In people's experience how do contractors take to home owners providing contracts and requesting sign off and management of renos through the contract?

Does anyone have a short form contract that they have used for home builds. Any experience with using contracts and doing renos remotely?

The main items I want protection for is a roof over $20k and a full paint? Both separate trades. There will be limited presence at the house and ultimately I want to ensure we are fully protected.

As an added point would a roof replacement have a typical warranty attached to it for defects and bad workmanship? (Colorbond sheeting)

Thanks to all contributors on this forum. Sooo helpful for a first home owner.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In NSW, Fair Trading has a range of trades contracts - there may be a WA equivalent.

MBA WA also sell contracts

Kieran Doyle likes this.
  3. Kieran Doyle

Kieran Doyle Member

Thanks Scott will check out MBA WA. Have you used with tradies and how do they feel about having them enforced for home renos?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Contracts are required for all works as per the WA building licensing requirements.

Subbies know the requirements - it's the cashies which try to avoid legitimate requirements.

Kieran Doyle likes this.
  5. Kieran Doyle

Kieran Doyle Member

Thanks Scott, Most helpful.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Each state Fair Trading has rules for building contracts over a specified sum often $5-$10K. ie Mandatory there is a written contract. Most states have suggested templates etc and recommended inclusions eg materials specs. License details !! etc....

I like...
    ie Unlicensed work. For painting you want specs on what is to be sanded, painted, what paint, how many coats.... Insection on completion is the challenge if you are remote to the site.