Does anyone actually care about Australia's future?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Toucan, 31st Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree. I would LOVE the government to refuse to allow anyone to buy plastic bags that are not quickly compostable. You only need to get your rubbish from the kitchen to the rubbish bin.

I'd LOVE the government to give each household a compost bin.

And I'd LOVE for the government to force every new building (or renovation) to have a certain level of (for example) solar, or double glazing etc. We've had to meet these standards for our development, and yes, it has cost more, but it's time people took this seriously and put their money where their mouth is.

Much of this stuff could be done with the flourish of a pen on paper, but there's too much money donated by people with a vested interest for politicians to actually do this, too big a chance of being voted out to make big changes. Shame.

Brickbybrick, Someguy, Toucan and 2 others like this.
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What gets me @wylie is the number of people who toss the multi usable major supermarket shopping bags in the bin (as a rubbish bag) hardly having a crease:mad:
    (Yes, I do strata work, it is 90% don't give a .......)

The compost bin, 99% would suffer a slow demise due to the rubbish bin being in the kitchen, while the compost is 10 steps away (outside) and too harso_O

Sure, a stroke of a pen doesn't buy vots !
    Still, many products are becoming cheaper due to early adopters and people making an effort ;) and gov energy requirements (star ratings) :cool:
    The old clear float glass is now more expensive than laminate due to change in demand :p
    What we need is more innovation (like Carbon wheels in Geelong :D)

Toucan and marty998 like this.
  3. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Yea sure so but too much effort to do anything. More
    importantly, how do you make a contribution to the future?

Politics? Get booed at and spend half your life politicking in parties?

Being rich? Well that more benefits oneself.

Try to do something groundbreaking if you make PM? Well there’s only been a few PMs and I wonder how many people can point to what’s been done since Howard.

MTR likes this.
  4. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Love the intention you have here but the question here is how far do the govt go.

Should they ban detached houses and urban sprawl since they are clearly bad for environment vs centralised apartment living where everyone can bike/walk to work/school etc.

There are also studies that suggest solar panels may not be net positive for the environment due to the cost/pollution to make and disposal.

But you are right. Many lobbyists dont care about anything beyond company profits. But if that makes our country wealthier in general, does that infact better equip households with the means to combat household waste and to think green?

I grew up in a poor neighbourhood and household growing up and I can tell you composting was the last thing on our mind.

Not disagreeing just some food for thought

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Don't you mean food SCRAPS for thought? :D

One of my peeves is the number of houses that get renovated without any consideration for energy efficiency - especially the relatively cheap and easy stuff like really good roof insulation. In Canberra R2.4 just doesn't cut the mustard. On my current reno it cost about $5k to lift the energy rating from 2 to around 6 through an extra layer of roof insulation and pump in insulation into the walls (brick veneer construction). I also paid a bit more for a double glazed sliding door to replace one that was wonky.

Robbo80 likes this.
  6. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

I look back at Australia's history and pre LIMA agreement Australia did so much internally and if we could get back to 50% of that we would be doing very well as a nation.

Angel likes this.
  7. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Spot on! literally zero food scraps :p

But +1 for glazed windows better insulation.

Curious to know whether the better insulation has resulted in any ventilation issues i.e. greater moisture buildup around windows?

8. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I have noted a little bit of condensation on the bedroom windows over winter but that is the tenants preferring a warm bedroom at night, Nothing serious - it hasn't become mould central. The house itself has changed from being a hot box in summer and ice chest in winter to being really pleasant year round. Only a little morning and then nighttime heating through sunny winter days. Power bills have dropped dramatically. At the very worst it is a 8 year return on investment.

Angel likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia