Does a 5sqm room (with a window) qualify as a bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by bythebay, 7th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Hi guys

What's the minimum sqm required for a bedroom in Vic?

If 5sqm is too small, can I call it a study?

Thank you :p

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Can you move walls at all?

3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

If it is in Hong Kong, then yes :p

Jessproperty likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is about the size of our bathroom. It is big enough to be a bedroom IMO. I'm not sure there is a legal minimum floor area?

We have a 1930 built house with a smaller (original) bedroom that used to open off the verandah, so going outside into the cold to get in when the house was first built. Now it is enclosed so I used to call it a third bedroom.

What I found was that it was a waste of time if people were looking for a room big enough to put a bed and a wardrobe in, so I now call it a study.

5. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

There is not legal minimum size for a bedroom however if you can't comfortably get a single bed and wardrobe with circulation then you'll struggle to convince anyone that it's a bedroom. Having said this people in different areas will have different ideas of what constitutes a bedroom size.

6. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

thanks everyone, good to learn no minimum legal requirement - learn something new on PC everyday =)

Just so happens the other 3 existing bedrooms are 10sqm to 15sqm all with built-ins, so the potential 5sqm br will probably feel smaller than it actually is ... but the other argument is that since there are big enough rooms in house already this can just be a study ...

will think about it some more ....

thanks again everyone!

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If the built in space can be taken from an adjoining room, then you could reference the room as a study/additional bedroom with a point of difference to a potential tenant or purchaser at a minimal outlay.

wylie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia