Dodgy mechanics

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 19th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

My trusty mechanic closed down due to Covid and selling one of my bikes that needed a Road Worthy Certificate and it's been such a hassle trying to find a decent mechanic and by decent i mean morally decent as in one that doesn't create a load of unneeded work just to add to the bill :(

Crazy stuff, one mechanic even lying and making up new legislation and rules(checked with VIC roads) just to introduce new major work.Like needing to open up the engine to check valves for example even though that was done in the last service less than 5000 kms ago and the manual requires it being done every 10000 kms.

When i told him that , he said he needs to check it otherwise i can go somewhere else.
    I hope car mechanics are better than this as my car is getting serviced too!

2. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Sounds like a mess around PaulF.

Not sure of the rules down their in Melbourne, but up here in QLD I had my CBR1000RR done in 20min flat. Called up a mobile RWC fellow, he knew his stuff and job done.

What type of bike do you have and do you think it needs mechanical repair or do you think this should just be a 'tick 'n flick' RWC?

3. transit

transit Well-Known Member

4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Cheers Bradley,
    It's a 2005 KLR 650, 43000 Kms on the odo and just had a set of new tires installed and a major service done less than 7000 kms ago including valve checks, new brake rotors and pads and all fluids changed. Definitely a tick n flick RWC.

I even showed him the receipts when he started talking about having to do the valves and he said he can't trust what the previous mechanic did and he either does the valve checks or i can go somewhere else asking for 375$ fixed charge.

I also have a 2004 yamaha R1 and I've had bikes constantly for the last 15 years; I have never experienced such blatant lying to my face by a mechanic. He knew that I knew he was lying and still didn't give a toss.

I'm reporting him to the ACCC

5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Throttle body clean needed on a Ford Ranger with 15,000 klm......:rolleyes:
    Your spare tyre is almost down to the wear indicators/worn out and won't last to next service, so it needs replacing :eek:
    Wiper blades require replacing, I open the passenger door and pull out the old one's changed that morning :p

What was wrong with my car ? Reply: there was some *h!t behind the wheel :confused:

What/how/why does valve adjustment have to do with a RWC ?
    Tyres, brakes, exhaust, mirrors, (windscreen in a car) and other items form part of a RWC, not engine or drivetrain condition..........

Bradley Peet and paulF like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.