VIC Docklands

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by smallbuyer, 15th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

funnily enough was just talking to a friend who very recently purchased from an OTP buyer unable to settle in the northern part of docklands for the same price 2yrs ago, as I know nothing about the docklands market except in general, I asked him whether he was aware of the particular CG and vacancy issues aforementioned - he said that the northern part of docklands will be alright as it is a different micro market altogether

is this true?

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

No, nothing about the Docklands and capital growth is true.

Well except for the fact it's non existent and will likely see negative growth within the next 5 years.

Hwangers likes this.
  3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

@Hwangers i would also ask your mate where he hit this information from??
    If he says the developer then tell him to sell now and just cop the loss.

4. Hwangers

think it was from his own research ...

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Having worked in Docklands for a year, I agree there are definitely micro-markets within. I think there was a post by @melbournian somewhere

For me PERSONALLY:

- the northern end (New Quay/Waterfront City) sux big time. Despite the harbourtown shops and costco, it is dead during the day, and the aspect is all wrong for the apartments - either you get a nice winter sun facing north and a view of industrial lands, or a water view (south facing) and no sun. Totally dead expect for some lost looking tourists wondering if they there has been an apocalypitc zombie war gone on.

- the northern side of Victoria Harbour Dev - water views to the north, correspondingly high price. Good amenities - southern cros station, tram, Etihad (ok, only if you are into that sort of thing), Woolies. IMHO the best part of D-lands

- Flinders Wharf - has the same issues as New Quay (apt facing wrong direction), but at least north facing gets some city view (up close!) and South Wharf complext across the footbridge. I think @melbournian mentioned he thought this area as best buy

- Yarra's Edge - Mirvac's development. North facing water front apartments and townhouses. Marina. Very classy looking, hideously expensive (haven't seen prices come down despite all the news!!)

The Y-man

melbournian, paulF and Hwangers like this.
  6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

To be honest if I had more time, I would buy an apartment in 60 siddeley st, docklands, (no biggie) - and then rent it out airbnb (will beat a logan central CG property for similar price ) any day.

Chrispy likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Exactly my sentiments @The Y-man . Been working in docklands for almost 5 years now and our office moved from just being in front of Harbour town to the Yarra's edge side on Collins street which is pretty much buzzing all day long.

8. Hwangers

you should! airbnb around southbank/docklands is a great idea as its so central to everything and much cheaper alternative, last visit, we looked at a few airbnb options and some were booked out for 4 mths in advance

9. melbournian

I agree there are ppl renting out apartments 180-250 per day. You can see how convenient it is and being on the ground to understand why certain things rent out as it is.

I have self managed ips in the cbd, north, east and west of Melbourne. Nothing really beats the 2-3Km radius around CBD. the amount of enquiries and the choice of quality of tenants. The student market (some of them are the best 1 year in advance - as their parents pay this year).
    Docklands (with the airbnb strategy) will easily beat logan central property. growth wise dollar wise

10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I've got a challenge for you Melbournian, how about posting in any thread on Melbourne without referencing Logan.

Pixie, RetireRich101 and melbournian like this.
  11. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I'Ve got a challenge .

How about posting a few properties that you think are a good buy in docklands at the moment .

Cliff

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  12. melbournian

Will do right after I get one for my super

13. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

LMAO.. even I love Logan so much, I couldn't say Logan that many times without coming up air.

airbnb in Dockland Versus Logan central houses, really? I am good at stats, but I am even contemplate to even go there.. surely there are better ways to troll me..

14. melbournian

Only one way to get ur attention :)
    U're right I'll refrain from making the next 20 posts on that suburb hahah

15. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

As a place to live I would take Logan central over Docklands...every day of the week and twice on Sundays!! Maybe I'm just strange...

16. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Interesting . I have a different approach . I don't hype a place until after I've bought

Cliff

RetireRich101 likes this.
  17. melbournian

Not hyping - just making an observation. I know the areas well (having bought, leased, sold a lot apartments in Melbourne (3km CBD radius) and I have achieved that rental

18. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

19. melbournian

This is the lacrosse building that was set on fire by the cladding that was deemed non compliant by Australian standards

Anyone who purchased could be at risk at a massive bill for rectification

Chrispy likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Other than a great view of the prison and hideous brown tiles - agree - that's a 1BR price. It even has an ensuite, and free tram at the door. Coles across the bridge.

The Y-man

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF