Education & Work Dob in a dodgy boss !!!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Skilled_Migrant, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

It's really surprising that Australia does not have a compensation for dob in of dodgy corporate behavior. Sure the whistle-blowers act, ASIC act etc provides some protection, but not a financial incentive to compensate for the adverse career consequences.

Something like USA (three different acts) would be ideal, where you get upto 30% of money collected. USA targets False claims, bribery, collusion, price gouging, share market fraud, tax fraud, which should be a good start.

Would you dob in a dodgy boss for $3 million?

Views for and against...

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

For 3mill, ken oath.

Skilled_Migrant and Cactus like this.
  3. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Would also have the potential to be exploited by disgruntled employees/ex employees and create a nightmare for legit employers. Especially if financial incentives are offered.

Last edited: 18th May, 2016
  4. SirDingo

SirDingo Well-Known Member

I think most employees would likely think twice before dobbing in a crooked boss if it meant that the company would fold and/or they would lose their job, livelihood and ability to pay their bills.

I'm not sure about an "incentive" per say, but certainly some kind of compensation for loss of job/income may well encourage an employee to whistleblow on fraudulent behaviour.

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I'm all for it if bosses can once again use a whip ancient Egypt style. Fair trade off.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

sorta like the would you like that quote with or without GST thing :(

ta
    rolf

7. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

The employees can just dob in. The matter will still be investigated by the appropriate regulatory body and money paid only when credible evidence is found.

8. emza

emza Well-Known Member

I worked for a place more than a decade ago that got taken down by three dodgy managers working together.

Publicly traded company too, that took a share-price hit when that part of the business collapsed and then was sold off to a competitor at rock bottom prices.

The competitor that coincidentally the three dodgy managers went to work for.

If I had my time over, I'd have reported it in a heartbeat. Not only did everyone in that part of the business lose their jobs anyway (about twenty people), the company lost a few million in share price, the investors lost that money too and the hit to the business took years to recover from.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear how the ex-employees of Queensland Nickel feel one way or the other about the context of this thread.

Purely hypothetically of course.