Do you use a Financial Planner

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by MTR, 9th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

There is such a wealth of knowledge in this forum! I’ve taken quite some time off from investing/reading forums in the past 6 years. I’ve been going through some old posts in the past weeks and I’ve learnt so much as well as picking up that I had incorrect knowledge of some things. Such a fantastic resource for many different strategies and investment choices!

kierank, MTR, Big A and 2 others like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lol
    Diavolo

I only started paying attention to share threads about 18 months ago. Very helpful.

Propin likes this.
  3. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

"Retirement" is personal. How much you need depends on your age, health, whether or not you are fully retired (i.e. might still earn some $$ working a few hours), and most of all it depends what your lifestyle will look like in retirement.

Most Aussies do not need $1million to have a 'comfortable' retirement. They will receive part or full Age Pension from the Government, plus an income from super (say $10k - $25k pa), and this will be plenty. When I say 'most' aussies, the stereotype would be: Own their home outright, "holidays" are mainly domestic travel (usually caravan), and things like new cars, going out for dinner etc. are not a priority.

If your retirement means a lot of overseas travel, cruise ships, regular car upgrades, helping kids or grandkids buy properties, etc. etc. then yes, you will want more than a mill.

willair likes this.
  4. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Would you include industry fund single asset class indexed options? They can be had for under 0.2%

ChrisP73 likes this.
  5. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Well there is one mistake you never made.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  6. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well. E.g. sunsuper index funds.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think some people are missing the point of why people choose financial planners.

We happen to have an insurance broker who is also a financial planner. He put us into a very good policy that we thought we would never use and every year I'd question "will they pay out on this" and was always assured they would. One year I accidentally cancelled the the wrong policy and our broker picked this up and fixed up my mistake. Without him, we would have never realised. And we are currently on claim, so thank goodness for our broker.

We've actually never used him in a financial planning sense, but with rent finally rolling in from our development, and with us having depleted most of our super for the build, we will pay him for his advice (preferably an hourly rate, but we will look into this when the time comes) to work out how best to build back up.

We have lots of options, each having different tax and personal implications for our own situation -

. reduce our loans ASAP (but downside is less costs to offset the income for a few more years).

. keep our loans while interest rates are so low, and build up our super to give tax-free income down the track

. sell one house and reduce loans, or dump $300k into each super

. set up a SMSF

That is just four different scenarios, and while I'm no dummy, I need an expert to explain the implications of each one. Our accountant and our FP will be the ones we ask to help us.

We will gladly pay for that advice. Making a decision on our own could cost us considerably more than paying for advice.

Angel, ChrisP73, Terry_w and 5 others like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

TBH I think you are missing the point

There are quite a few successful people on this forum that have never used a FP. Of course your money, your choice

You are making assumptions that a FP is the only person that will provide a superior outcome, could be the opposite.

Pretty much everything you mentioned a savvy accountant should know all this stuff, its not rocket science

As far as insurance goes, its not that difficult just requires time to nut it out. I personally never had an issue with insurance companies coughing up. Except pet insurance

Also FP receive a trailing commissions for insurance

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2021
  9. wylie

I believe accountants are not allowed to give financial advice.

I'm not missing the point at all.

Do you use a loan broker. Do you realise he/she is likely getting a trailing commission? This may have changed with recent law changes, but honestly, do you want service for free?

kierank likes this.
  10. wylie

I guess it is like anything else in life. Some people see value, others don't.

I've self-managed for close on 45 years until just recently. I didn't see the value in paying a PM until recently.

We are all free and able to make a decision that suits us. Financial planners however, do not just put people into funds or tree plantations.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Same as forums;)

12. wylie

Not the same at all.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But do they have winning lotto numbers

I agree with you about value???

I like the share threads, some great info and tips on structure. I get alot of info here and then do my research

However, no one has a crystal ball

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2021
  14. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

@wylie I am an investor who has shares in different structures and (now) a small amount of property. We sold one last week! While we do not have a financial advisor I can understand why you are going to see one. It is very important to get the structures right :)

Anne11 and wylie like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It certainly is

My accountant set up my trust?

Before you spend your money on a FP, I would be chatting to your accountant on your structure and what you are trying to achieve

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

like you @MTR I have been a long term investor - more than 40 years. Our accountant is amazing and we have been with the same person for the last 20 years. No matter how good the accountant is with tax advice they can not give financial advice and there is a lot to be said for having conversations with both when you are setting up these structures. The structures are to take you into retirement, estate planning and anything else that is relevant to the individual. It is one of those times when you don't know what you don't know.

kierank, Anne11, wylie and 3 others like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just posted a link

Depends on the license. My accountant can give advice on SMSF.

Have had a lawyer involved in estate planning for us

I agree, you dont know what you dont know.

You can get check lists on estate planning, lots of info on this, its a good start.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A good article about scope broadly - but it's US based, so it may be different in detail to here. Many here would not agree with the assertion in the article that an FP should advise paying down debt.
    An accountant should be able to set up a trust or an SMSF. But an accountant without an FP licence should not be advising on how to invest your money. They would not be allowed to tell you if a particular investment - or even investment class - is better than another. They may not be able to advise on what you are trying to achieve, especially if you aren't doing things in the best way. It can be a very fine line. My accountant is very good, but doesn't have an FP licence, so is always very careful of the thin line which cannot be crossed.

20. wylie

Same here Geoff. That's why we will have a little round table meeting with them both in the next few months to get input from both.