Do you Tip?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by MTR, 8th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Not only did I tip 20% in the US, if it was good service, I'd even put in a good word.

Once when room service cleared a mountain of a mess from my kitchen, not only did I leave a tip, I emailed corporate and let the hotels manager know of the a.m.a.z.i.n.g job room service did. I ended up staying in the hotel for 6 months and the room service was top notch, every single day. I wasn't required to, I guess, but I know the cleaning would have taken a lot of effort and the lady did it very thoroughly - I can be a real nosy ******* sometimes - and go the other way of making every effort to express my displeasure.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I recently went to an Officeworks to get a job done. What I was told was different from what I had read online, so I called up another branch when I got back home. I received a very helpful answer, inclusding a couple of options I hadn't read online. I went into that branch, and had my job done to a better standard and better price than I would have received either from the store or online.

I used the feedback on the website to single out the young lady who had been so helpful. They told me that she would be given an award in front of her peers for her outstanding customer service and product knowledge.

Not a tip, but possibly much more effective.

legallyblonde and willair like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last time we went away o/s for a few weeks stayed in the same room all the time in a US based hotel chain..The cleaners who are all employed within the company worldwide are all on internships and it's very hard work and the times they work..Every morning before we would go we would leave a mars bar and five bucks will a simple note thanks for looking after us on the lounge room table ..
    Everyday when we came back there was 2 small bottles of wine fruit mineral water and they made 2 swans on the bed each day out of the extra bath towels for free,,so yes i tip in my own way..

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2017
    Phar Lap and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's a nice touch.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

We do the same at every place we stay at,just makes the person feel important because if they work their way up they will become the manager ,plus the timeframe per room to clean per floor you would have to run too finish the rooms..

6. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I have no embarrassment when it comes to not tipping. I've been to the States a number of times and it all depends on the situation on whether I'll tip or not. I understand that some of their wages come from tipping, but if they are going to be snippy or lazy or deliberately give you certain bill denominations to force a bigger tip, then I will refuse a tip. Also, if all they have done is bring your food and then not bothered with you again, I'll give a very small tip. But again, it all depends on the price of the food and the establishment I'm in.

Of course if it's a place that I frequent a lot or my mate goes to regularly, we will tip well. I also have a friend with a restaurant in LA... The thing is, it's not hard to get decent tips in the US if you do things the correct way, but so many waiters/waitresses just can't help themselves. Plus there are certain customers waiters and waitresses don't want to serve - Foreigners are one of them, so if you are with Americans, let them order for you as you'll get better service.

EDIT: I just saw the posters re hotel tipping for cleaning... YES! I always do that. It makes a massive difference.

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Always tip in US at least 20% of total bill.

In Australia I also tip dependent on service.

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Back in the US.

Interesting, how some business' operate, they have a separate selection when paying bill for tipping, there are various options which you can select for tipping, starting with 15%, 16%.....upto 20%.

MTR:)

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Back in the US.

Interesting, how some business' operate, they have a separate selection when paying bill for tipping, there are various options which you can select for tipping, starting with 15%, 16%.....upto 20%.

MTR:)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My tipping is also affected by the amount that I expect to pay for the meal. EFTPOS terminal was offered the other night with the bill, it prompted for the tip (most don't set it up this way and miss out) - restaurant ended up with 20%

datto likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I always give feedback when I receive good service. I know that most people only complain not compliment.

legallyblonde, MTR and geoffw like this.
  12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I will often tip in AUS for nice meals, when the service has been great.

Haven't been to the US, but when in SEA I will also tip.

My partner also gets upset with me when travelling about how much I tip, but that's mainly because she has no idea that the 10,000 note I have them is only ~$10AUD

Sackie and MTR like this.
  13. random

random Well-Known Member

No way known.
    Aren't we already the second dearest country on earth,l'm not tipping as well at our prices we're already ripped of blind.
    Don't forget in countries like the US where they tip, everything is 3x better value than here.

14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I often tell the workers I buy stuff from to "keep the change" but it is not a standard practice to Tip in Aus.

For eg; If I go to a restaurant and the service is decent, and the bill comes to say; $112 I will hand over $120 and say "keep the change", or if I buy a few items from the supermarket and the bill is say; $18.50 I'll hand over $20 and say "keep the change"...that sort of thing.

MTR likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just got back from US and we got the worst service at a restaurant, and attitude on top of it, so we did not tip. Not tipping anyone for bad service.

16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I am sure you would have a bad attitude too if you were trying to live on their pittance of a salary.

Also, you aren't just tipping the waiteress/waiter, tips are shared with back of house staff.

AUS minimum wage is great in comparison

17. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Tipping should occur less than 10% or so of the time, otherwise it loses it's meaning and becomes a charge or a tax.
    If a tip is expected, it's not really a tip or a gratitude, now is it?

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

we tip a minimum of 18% now and if its a real cheapie Mex restaurant we sometimes tip 50%. Its just dependent on the scenario

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree our wages are much higher than min wage in USA.

However, bad service, rude behaviour wont cut it regardless. Would you be happy to pay a tip for cold food, waiting more than 1 hour because they probably forgot to place the order, yet others have their food, no drink service..and then wants to blame the cook... I don't think that works too well with clients.

20. random

random Well-Known Member

But our prices and taxes and fees and charges are double and triple everywhere else and costs of living is one of the highest in the world and much higher than the US anyway isn't ?
    So does our so called higher min wage , even actually go any further here than the US min wage does there?
    And aren't we the highest household debt here than just about anywhere else in the world ?