Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Do you think you'd be able to live in a Country town?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 8th Jan, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Being a City dweller...having travelled overy the Countryside ... The Countryside.. the last few weeks I started to think how peaceful it would be to live in a small town somewhere.
    Maybe have my own veggie garden , dogs, cats .

Somewhere say under 5000 people, not too hot area, has shopping centre nearby and RSL Clubs etc .
    Anyone here live in a town that small ?

I like the NSW Upper Hunter areas duch as Murrundi , Aberdeen , Oh Caroll , etc

I realise job opportunties are not there i suppose but lifestyle would be ok if your financially independent.
    One thing i did notice however was fruit and veggies seem more expensive than in the City, maybe it was just it was xmas time .

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The short answer to the question in your title is ..... no. At least not at the moment.

I grew up in a very busy city where everything is open 365 days a year, mall close around 12am. Was already quite shocked when I moved to Sydney and based on experience moving around suburbs, I like quietness and space, but also need that proximity to city, e.g. 30-40 mins away.

Visited Sunshine Coast to explore the things you wrote above and it's too quiet.

3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've done it and it can be great. Just check the infrastructure beforehand as it can make a big difference...I.e is there a dentist? Hospital? How far to the nearest big airport?

There's lots of country towns that can work. Personally my preference is for places with 80-250k people as you get the best of both worlds....

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I agree, the best of both worlds. Small towns might be peaceful but they also lack opportunities.

5. Navid H Guia

Navid H Guia Well-Known Member

I have. From towns with the low thousands to low hundreds.

It sounds quite serene, in reality if you don't get use to it, it's boring as bat ....

That late night coffee. Goodluck. So many little things taken for granted.

Locals are super friendly as a visitor coming past. But living there, there's the subtle, you will always be an outsider. Even after joining all the clubs. Met people who had been there for 30+ years. Still considered outsiders.

Of the original 7 that went during uni, I was the only one left after the first month. Loved the 7 years out bush, but I think the smallest town I could do for the long term is Tamworth or Wagga. Tamworth is much nicer. Perhaps a satellite town near a metropolitan zone.

I was much happier when I left local mobs to work for Lend Lease, the larger companies staff tend to stick together, easier to make friends who are more relatable.

Takes a bit of getting use to, though no traffic, having someone at the RMS apologise profusely for taking 2 minutes to serve you. It has its perks.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2016
    JacM likes this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent Business Member

It's important to understand your personality type and how you'd go with making friends and keeping them, because there are far fewer people to pick from. In a big city if someone annoys everyone in the soccer community they have the option of saying oh well, I'll start again and have a crack at making friends in the cricket community.

I know folks that moved to really small towns, immediately got everyone offside and were unable to rectify the situation. It'd be a pretty lonely life with no friends in town.

Mac Fields and The Falcon like this.
  7. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

Absolutely, my goal is to finish my psych studies then head out regionally where I'll be able to buy my PPOR with cash. Shouldn't be too hard to find work. Then we can move away from the DINK situation and start a family. I'd like to get a few IPs before then (metro Sydney), just waiting for the market to play nice for a newbee.

Foxy Moron and SeafordSunshine like this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If it has a "target country" then its alright by me!

9. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

And be a Psych in a country town ?:D

10. bob shovel

Plenty of work available... but whether they come in is a different story

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, we could live quite comfortably in a small town like Brisbane or Perth.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

lol....I was going to say the same thing...

13. Scott No Mates

These towns should be treated as regional property investments as they are more subject to market forces in the economy than Cities like Melbourne or Sydney.

When mining kicks on, these places brim with FIFO workers in their corporate offices. When the tap's turned off, they stagnate.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Toowoomba, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg :)

PS I need wifi more than anything else.

15. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

I was looking at moving to Albury last year. Would have been nice but still too big for a real regional town experience.

My long term goal is 100-200 acres on the outskirts of Young NSW. Love that place... 9000 people, big enough to have facilities, small enough to be country.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Me, personally, could not live in any habitat where the population is below four million. I need demographics, and the full spectrum.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  17. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

Well I'm not finishing my psych training to become a brick layer in a regional town ;)

Regional areas are in dire need for workers across all different types of mental health frameworks. There are even Incentives for people to work out there.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Not for us - we've come to realise our tribe tends to live in secondary capital cities (Not Melb or Syd), in suburbs with easy access to cbd (jobs, unis, cultural institutions, restaurants etc) with good schools and housing affordable on a single income temporarily (ie a parent takes time out of workforce for young kids). Also with access to good sporting facilities.

Most of this cant be found in smaller regional towns, and only in a few larger regionals

19. Scott No Mates

You just need a place where there's a ready supply of bottom feeders (& lawyers).

datto likes this.
  20. bob shovel

Health care in regional areas you can earn mega bucks if played right! Don't go permanent with the health department! Agency locum work is the go

Westminster and Glorion like this.