Do you think a new loan is better for me?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

My situation is i want to borrow to buy a Regional unit .
    Price is $120,000 rental return is 125 a week

I have the 20% deposit.

I want to borrow about $100,000
    I phoned Commbank i told them my story.
    They told me best thing is to use my current Redraw on my PPOR.
    I have up to 300k to withdraw at 4.99% for 21 years.

But i dont think this is right to do be because i wont be able to claim tax decuctions on my investment property if i withdraw from my PPOR? Isnt that right??

Shouldnt i get a separate loan for the 100k?
    Commbank told me this will be a lot of trouble, extra $300 for loan application,take 6 weeks blah blah, just withdraw it from your redraw said the loan officer, much easier !

I reLly may need to see a broker ???

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You're right - if you redraw off your PPOR, you'll have a mixed purpose loan. Easy to split off the investment portion though, so that's an option.

You may need to see a broker just to get correctly structured for the future, regardless of this purchase - paying off a PPOR can cause tax issues down the track so best not to continue.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Utterly terrible advice from the bank from someone who doesn't have even an inkling of understanding of tax issues. There's some very quick and easy alternatives which are going to be much more friendly to your tax deductions:

1. Set up a second equity loan as you've suggested. Yes, it will take time, but more like 3 weeks.

2. Split your existing home loan with one portion being $100k and the balance for the rest. Move $100k into the $100k split. You've now got your equity loan, you can redraw on this for your deposit. This should take about 4 days to achieve with no paperwork or application necessary.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Some bank staff are unbelievable.

@Darlinghurst Boy - good thing you posted your question here. Jess and Pete might have saved you quite a bit in future deductible interest.

Cheers

Jamie