Do you rent or are you paying down your PPOR?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by KJB, 31st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Rent or Pay down PPOR??

1. Pay down PPOR

38 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Rent and looking to buy

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Rent and plan to continue renting

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Changing from PPOR to renting

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Like Jess said, but also consider that the loans are also usually assessed as PI and over a term minus any IO period and at a 20% buffer.

Also investment loans are deductible so treated slightly different to non deductible debt.

2. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I had a fully paid off PPOR (actually, it never had a mortgage to begin with). So I then took out a loan and used that to act as deposits to buy other properties. The loan is split into sub loans to avoid cross contamination and each of them is like a LOC. No need to guess :)

HUGH72 and Colin Rice like this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Its not the security that determines deductability but the "purpose of the funds" and in this case its all for investment purpose so therefore deductable debt.

If you are unsure if debt is deductable or not you need to ask "what is the purpose of the debt"?

So what DT said. :)

hobo likes this.
  4. Terry_w

It is not just 'purpose' but the 'use' of the funds that determines deductibility.

Example
    John buys a property for $500,000 using a $500,000 loan. It is a main residence.

But 6 months later John rents the property out. The interest on the $500,000 would now be deductible.

The purpose of the funds hasn't changed. They were used to buy a residence and it is the use of this residence that has changed. The loan was used to acquire a residence and this residence is now income producing.

Ringo1, willair and Perthguy like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Correct.

6. Terry_w

Thanks!

Colin Rice likes this.
  7. Colin Rice

Purpose / use means the same in my mind but you are correct, again! :D

8. Terry_w

I think there are subtle differences.

The use test comes from FCT v Munro (1926) 38 CLR 153

and the purpose the funds are put to comes from Fletcher & Ors v. FC of T 91 ATC 4950; (1991) 22 ATR 613

I haven't dug too deeply to work out the differences (yet)

Colin Rice likes this.
  9. Lou

Lou Member

We have been renting the same house now for ten years. In that time we have built up a portfolio of six IPs and we are now in the position of buying our PPOR in the suburb that we currently rent in. But since we are paying peanuts for rent, we are tempted to buy a PPOR but rent it out and keep renting where we are. At least this gets us a property in the suburb we want to live (previously a financially unattainable dream) but we get better income by renting it out at a higher yield than the place we rent and then we can decide when we want to finally move into it. Though even if we make it a PPOR and move in, we won't be paying down the loan, but will have the loan as IO with an offset. The offset will be our cash buffer for IR rises etc and will be our little piggy bank for renovating or assisting in the purchase of more IPs in the future.

Blueskies likes this.
  10. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Whilst I know this to be true, what is the reason... surely +2% would be an ample buffer, 7.25% is double what some lenders OO rate would be.

Colin Rice likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I rent in Adelaide and am paying down my Sydney ppor by renting it out for more than the mortgage... 6 year rule is handy :)

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Colin Rice

@Cactus loan terms are over 30 years typically so lenders take a long term view and apply a statistical average im thinking.

13. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Sure again I understand this and their risk adversity but, given one would also expect the banks security to increase significantly in this period too.

Colin Rice likes this.
  14. Colin Rice

@Cactus Im thinking that it will loosen up a bit once APRA are satisfied and there happy to let the credit tap open up some more. Might be a little while yet though???

Cactus likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would like to be able to afford to buy a PPoR but I can't at this stage. I don't even rent. I'm living in a shared house. I will reevaluate if I can afford to buy a PPoR in about 2 years.

16. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Bought my dream PPOR only a couple of months ago so cant see myself moving any time in the foreseeable future!! Just putting $ in an offset account and trying to figure out what to do with it, whether to buy another IP or to diversify...

Perthguy likes this.
  17. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

We are renting (Sydney) where it makes sense due to the low yield and we are making good money, whilst paying down our PPOR (regional NSW) via offset account which is rented at a much higher yield.

Plan is to move back into it before our 6 years is up, preferably without any debt.
    When we decide to upgrade, carry our savings across to the next PPOR offset account and lease the first one again.

Works well as we have a large buffer for our investments, and if ever required we could sell the PPOR tax free to get out of trouble.

Terry_w likes this.
  18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    PPOR. I purchased it in the outer suburbs so the mortgage is cheaper than the rent I'd be paying.

MikeyBallarat likes this.