Do you really need a building /pest inspection.?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 11th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I wonder if its really any use to getting a building and pest inspection especially for apartments?
    I think i can check out property myself without such need unless its a house in which i probaly would get one, but apartments i doubt theres need.

Have you ever passed on the building and pest

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Yes only on two properties that were expected to be knocked down in under a five year period.

Otherwise I would always arrange to have one done as I don't have the knowledge.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Generally speaking you would not get a P&B on a unit. Since if you purchase you will be a member of the BC or OC, you will be partially responsible for everyone else's building. So if you want a P&B you should get one on every unit in the complex- which would be cost prohibitive.

A strata search should show a building issue history and a pest control treatment (or lack thereof) program history.

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Agreed with Propertunity on the strata-titled property front.

Ive never actually bought a detached house before, though I have ordered and paid for B&P reports that have seen me back out of a deal or two :/

5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you get a full BC inspection of records search to see if there are comprehensive meeting minutes and if comprehensive that helps. But I have still seen many B&P inspection reports that pick up things that need fixing.

Propertunity likes this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Its only a few hundred dollars. Worth it every time in my opinion.

7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I guess the problem with DIY B&P inspections at houses is you get wet feet peeping in windows and dirty looks from Neighbours when inspecting the internals of the letterbox.

pinkboy

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's a relatively small cost that I personally would fork out for - definitely the building inspection anyway.

Cheers

Jamie

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You cannot assume that the strata report will detail all or any issue. If you have a poor to fair strata agency managing complex. often items are not documented, go missing etc.

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

In my experience most people don't really act on a building report. They look at it, note a few defects, decide they're okay with it and proceed with the purchase. It could be argued that a lot of the time the money is wasted.

That said, occasionally people find some fairly significant problems and decide not to proceed with a purchase. Certainly it's not that often but I've avoided purchasing an apartment myself based on a building report. In most cases these people go on to purchase an alternative property which is a better deal.

It could thus be argued that whilst most building reports don't have a significant return on their outlay, those that do have a return give back in spades. Certainly they average out on a cost benefit basis far better than any insurance policy you'd ever purchase.

pommy and Tekoz like this.
  11. mush

mush Well-Known Member

I recently inspected a beautifully renovated unit within a complex of 12.
    Conducive conditions to termite attack excluded it was hard to find fault,however upon entering the roof loft space I discovered that the firewalls were non compliant and posed a major risk to all of the complexes residents,not to mention the insurance implications.
    For the small cost incurred, building and timber pest inspections should not only be viewed as presenting the opportunity for immediate monetary gain but also the addressing of health and safety issues and the medium to long term gains that may be made by attending to maintenance issues before they become major problems.

Propertunity likes this.
  12. LATS

LATS Well-Known Member

What about if it's a brand new property (regardless of building type), would building and pest report still necessary?
    Wouldn't whatever the defects are the developer would need to fix under his builder insurance?

13. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Yes LATS, in WA you would meet with your builders representative and your representative/building inspector at practical completion and list all defects that require attention.Your builder then has a period of 4 months to rectify these defects.
    With regard to the timber pest,a new building should have both slab and perimeter treatment warranties normally for a period of 10 and 7 years respectively(Perth,WA) although as per the Australian standards it is still advisable to have annual inspections completed.

14. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Townhouses definitely. Found quite a few costly things that were the individual owners responsibility.

However the inspectors also miss alot of stuff that comes up within the first year that they could have found..

Apartments maybe not, but I'm not the best one to answer as I haven't bought any recently.

15. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Yep, when we knew we'd knock down the house in 12 or so months.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@MsAli: I'm confused. Why is that you need to get the report when you are going to knowck it down anyway ?

For an apartment unit, I guess the Strata report should be sufficient while for a townhouse & a house it is imperative for sure.

Now, the thing is... in this hot investing season in Sydney and Melbourne nowadays, we do not have the chance to get P&B inspection due to auction and Section 66W negates the cooling off period anyway.

17. Property Twins

We didn't get a report

If you're serious about bidding then get a report beforehand

And depending on your deposit I would go in with full approval or a valuation at the very least..though that counts for very little in a hot market. I don't like auctions.

Tekoz likes this.
  18. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Yes that's true @MsAli & @monalisa i also don't like auction especially at this market.

I've just outbided for about $138.000 and $150.000 respectively for a unit in Carlton & house in Belmore.

People still bidding like crazy this weekend in Sydney.

19. Property Twins

So.... are you still adamant on buying :) ?

20. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

:D I'm trying my luck in Sydney market...
    Who knows I got some bargain.

Property Twins likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.