Closed Do you like the LIKE system on PC

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by MTR, 4th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Do you like the LIKE system

1. YES

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. NO

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have mentioned before that I don't like the LIKE system on PC, I am curious whether PC members feel the same way??

I think its the fact that it is not private/personal and can be inappropriately used (see forum rules) and can not be policed/managed.

Sim, this is not in any way taking away from what you have achieved to date, but perhaps as feedback. If the majority LIKE the LIKE great, PC has spoken. As you know I LIKE the old Kudos system on SS

This is the first time I have posted a poll..... :)

Archer, ashish1137, Elives and 8 others like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

LIKE !!!

What do you think ?

Archer and MTR like this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I don't care if I get 1 or 10 likes. But I do take notice of what type of post is deemed 'helpful'. I also like acknowledging either witty posts, or more importantly those which have taken some effort to write, or answer the OP. Otherwise, we will be responding with 'like', or +!

bob shovel, Ambit, Chris Au and 2 others like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I would like those love heart things they have on FB too.

ashish1137 likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What's the implication of "like'-ing something in terms of privacy? I didn't think there were any :eek:

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think we've already had this conversation in earlier threads back when PropertyChat was first launched, MTR.

The kudos system on Somersoft was part of the core software (modified slightly so that you couldn't give people negative kudos like you could in the original :eek: ).

Similarly, the likes system on PropertyChat is part of the core software. It's not something that can trivially be changed, nor am I likely to do so.

It is what it is - a way of simply saying "I like this post", which helps cut down on the meaningless "me too" type posts you otherwise get.

The kudos system on Somersoft was nice in that it did allow you to give a personal message - which could be used for uplifting purposes. But similarly, the private nature of it meant that nobody else got to share in the appreciation.

Conversely the likes system on PropertyChat isn't as personal since you don't get to include a message, but it is also public allowing you to share the love and help other people identify what everyone thinks are great posts.

I've said over and over again that likes shouldn't mean anything more than what they were intended - "I like this post".

If you don't like likes, don't use likes. Likes are part of the system - the vast majority of people use them in the way they were intended, and they won't be removed or changed.

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I dont mind it but the old SS system was better.

MTR likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

I hate those :p

I get what they are trying to do - and I get why they introduced them (sometimes "like" isn't an appropriate response), but I do think it clutters things too much in Facebook posts. That's just my personal opinion anyway.

I've been experimenting with using Slack as a chat system (to replace IRC) and they do have the ability to add any emoji as a "reaction" to a post. I've thought it might be interesting to allow smileys as a response to a post more than just a like - but I think that could too easily be abused. Simple is better I think.

9. Simon Hampel

People can see that you liked a post. The person whose post you liked gets notified that you liked it.

That's about it. It certainly isn't anonymous, but there's nothing more to it than what you see.

10. Simon Hampel

As I alluded to in my original reply, I guess there are two issues here:
    1. kudos allowed you to leave a positive message "thanks for all your hard work", which means arguably more than "like" does
    2. kudos were private, whereas likes are public
    While I think that a kudos type system worked well on Somersoft, I think you can also achieve largely the same result by sending private messages with the same message.

Is the issue that it's actually too cumbersome to send a private message for such a short "love your work" type thing?

Maybe I could look at a very simple "kudos" mechanism associated with each post which pops up a simple form (like in the old system on Somersoft) and lets you type a simple message which actually gets sent as a private conversation - meaning you can actually respond to it! Now that I think about it - that could work quite well.

The second issue about likes being public - I think there are pros and cons both ways. If people use it the way it was intended, then I think it works well - and like I said, I think the vast majority of people do use it just like it was intended and get the simple nature of it.

So I think there is certainly scope for improving things by implementing some kind of hybrid kudos system - but I think it is better as a complement to the likes system rather than a replacement of it. Does that make sense?

Joynz and MTR like this.
  11. mcored

mcored Member

I can't see how likes can be misued. Like is a good feature to acknowledge a post reply.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind a system where we get points by other posters and reach a certain level of points and then PC gives us a gift ...:oops::D

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi McCored
    You are new to the forum, and I can get why you say this, however can we revisit this in 6 months time.
    As I have mentioned, if the likes are used according to the rules then all good, however no one is perfect, that is one of the issues I have with the LIKE system.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would like a red Ferrari, if that is not being greedy:p

Bran and Sackie like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sell your devs and you can buy one! :cool:

MTR likes this.
  16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I have been with this forum since inception, but never realised the like system could be misused.

How?

Marg

dabbler likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Don't want to derail the thread Marg so will simply say in a negative way, can be used in an passive/aggressive manner. Hence one reason why I don't like it.

Also, I think some may get caught up in competition over who has more likes, I know its all kiddy winks stuff but I have seen this happen too.

So far, LIKE is in front by a long shot.

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2016
  18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Only cause you are winning. If I was winning, I wouldn't care either ;)

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice avatar:) Who is it????

I think the next poll is to find out which is the numero uno avatar on PC:p

20. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I like to see like minded people. So I like likes.

MTR likes this.