Do you know anyone outright breaking corona rules?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 27th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you know people breaking the rules?

1. Yes I know people deliberately breaking rules

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Yes I know people unknowingly breaking rules

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. No, everyone around me is an angel

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Walking back from the shops, someone had just picked up more than ½ dozen family-sized pizzas.

Do you just assume that they're hungry or have a large family?

3. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Maybe they are going to freeze it and that’s dinner for the week?

:)

The Y-man likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I have just caught up on this thread, and have found it quite interesting to read in hindsite.

Given what has happened in the last 2 months, has anyone changed their opinion of the measures taken, or some of the issues discussed in this thread? Aus has had 100 deaths, and half of those can be attributed to the Ruby Princess and the deaths at nursing homes due to staff going to work sick. all but 10% (I think) can be sourced to international travellers.

I get that at the start the stats looked REALLY bad, but it simply hasn't panned out that way. Closing international borders was the most significant action. Despite reports of mass gatherings in contravention of the rules, there haven't been any massive flare ups, apart from Ruby princess and nursing homes.

Have we taken the correct approach?

Personally, I think there are many measures that should be adopted permanently - as mentioned by Smee, this would have the potential to actually save a lot of lives long term. But did we go too far in shutting down?

Cheers,
    Inertia.

MTR likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I think having permanent social distancing is going to have a huge negative affect on the economy, it seems the government is either ignoring/hiding this fact

imagine, peak hour trains, 25-50% less people per carriage
    restaurants will see reduced customers,
    Bars/clubs, not sure how they are even going to adopt it
    class rooms will have less students per classrom

sounds like a disaster to me

Casteller likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Recipe for disaster

Went to restaurant other night and so sad, plenty of staff, no clients. They would be making a loss

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

exactly, especially for restaurants

given the 20 person limit is temporary, even if they lifted the limits but if you still required social distancing, it would make it extremely difficult,

imagine a night club where you had to maintain 1.5m? you might as well get drunk at the park!

MTR likes this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think they are aware of it. Social distancing for lifts have been removed. Public transport is still going to be a problem though.

Schools (in NSW) are back full time face to face next week, and in many cases that will mean 30 kids in a classroom. Definitely not the 4m^2 per person. School buses have been advised to not leave any school kids behind, even if the bus is at capacity, and bus drivers have been advised to not enforce social distancing.

TMNT likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Now this, our Premier in WA wont open border, his ratings are sky high....destroy the economy at any cost :rolleyes:
    'Bad luck' says WA Premier as he rebuffs eastern states pressure to open border

This with Australia decoupling from China will be the nail in the coffin for our economy.

11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Except for Victoria - Dan Andrews signing up to Chinese Silk Road Infrastructure program over here causing problems. Not sure what ( if any) impact it will actually have in practice though. Wait and see.

MTR likes this.
  12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Once states starts opening up, it seems less likely that people will accept a full lockdown a second time.

TMNT and MTR like this.
  13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I was in Castle (Hill, NSW) Towers last Saturday about midday, and it was like a free for all. The place was packed. Certainly not ideal.

And Top Ryde (NSW), near Aldi and Kmart was pretty congested today.

It's like everybody just goes onto auto pilot when they enter a shopping centre.

Due caution is a great idea.

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

About 8 weeks ago I went to a coffee shop in WA for a takeaway coffee, I was the only customer in sight. Today I went were with some work colleagues for breakfast and it was busy. All the available tables except one were occupied and those who had ordered takeaway were waiting outside. Everyone seemed positive and happy to be able to support the local business.