Do you know anyone outright breaking corona rules?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 27th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you know people breaking the rules?

1. Yes I know people deliberately breaking rules

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Yes I know people unknowingly breaking rules

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. No, everyone around me is an angel

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Great minds

Terry_w likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

is the deceased counted as 1 person?

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

bring along your hairdresser too
    then it will range from max 1 person to 25
    For 30 mins today, 0 mins tomorrow, and maybe the wedding will be shutdown next week

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2020
    geoffw likes this.
  4. geoffw

But only for 30 minutes.

TMNT likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It puts a whole new meaning on the term "Live streaming".

skater, geoffw and TAJ like this.
  6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It was before the border shutdown came in by a couple of days so it was not breaking the rules as such but in my opinion pretty irrisponsible, last weekend my brother and his wife flew up to the Gold Coast from Sydney for a wedding which had 70 people attending. They then flew back home. Whilst they were up here they asked my parents to drive down from Hervey Bay to Sydney 3 weeks prior (which my parents are more than happy to do) they then drove back home on Monday.

As far as I am concerned. One week out when we all started realising just how serious this is and pubs started getting closed down, they should have cancelled their flights and told my parents to go home and isolate themselve, they are at risk through age and in my dads case a health problem. What if my brother or his wife has picked it up at the wedding or on the plane and passed it on to my folks, this could very well kill one or both of them :(.

My folks were supposed to stop in to see us on their way home but we told them to just keep going and avoid us. I simply can't guarantee that I or my wife don't have it and I can't take the risk of passing it on to them.

Once the border shutdowns came into effect, my brother and his wife and mother in law were trying to work out ways they could "circumvent" the system to still take their vacation up to NT in April. I am completely dissapointed in this.

matt_j, Bunbury, Islay and 4 others like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you had a chance to mention this to them directly?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I understand them going ahead - getting married is about two people who love and want to commit. The party is just an optional extra which they'll hold later

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I asked my brother if they'd paid deposits for their caterers and other booked things, and they have and can push it back, so I didn't tell him that my thought would be to just do the wedding next weekend (which they are doing anyway) and put that money into a house deposit.

They want the reception, and that's ok, and those caterers etc will now get business down the track (assuming they don't close permanently). So it is good for them to have a booking locked in to help them get back on their financial feet in the coming months, but it is a lot of money. I'd have had a BBQ and used those thousands towards my mortgage, but each to his own.

skater and Lizzie like this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

if you break the rules, and its only you that gets sick, thats fine, none of my business

but when you can infect others, which can exponentially grow, which can lead to death,
    yeah, politcally correctness or hurting peoples feelings, I couldnt care less

matt_j, JASA, Bunbury and 1 other person like this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

id like to think im a decent human being, so the answer is yes

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

On the news in NSW, a number of people dobbed in an employer where their staff were closer than the required distance. The Police charged them. However, the people outside who dobbed them in were shoulder to shoulder. They weren't charged.

Today show hosts are .5m apart, they're not charged.

Labor Opposition Leader coughed a number of times while making his announcement against the Government. Not once did he cough on his arm. In fact, he coughed into the air. Was he charged, or did anybody chastise him? No.

We're allowing elections to go ahead.

We allow self serve touch screens to continue, yet they spread the virus the most. If I happen to encroach the 1.5m by mistake (after all I am only human), and I am charged, I will use the above examples when fighting my case.

I have been a germaphobic for a long time and I wished always that people would social distance, stay at home when sick and not use touch screens. I have never used a self serve touch screen. UPL has increased by 30% in countries/cities when touch screens were introduced.

Oh and by the way, I am rarely sick and have over 8 months worth of sick leave. If I were to quit my job now, I won't be paid out the sick leave.

Toon and Lizzie like this.
  13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I don't know how to react to that

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Please show me where it says face masks are legally required by any one or group?

15. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

My family is basically in lockdown as we have several asthmatics and don’t want to take the risk. We were keeping the kids home from school anyway and we can work completely from home so it’s not a big deal for us.

I’ve twice gone out to do supermarket shopping in the past two weeks and both times have been stunned at how oblivious people are.

I’ve watched “old friends” greet each other with kisses and hugs, people coughing/sneezing without covering their mouths, people wiping their nose with their hands and then putting their hands on the hand rail of a travellator ...

Each time I’ve come home thinking we are doing the right thing in isolating ourselves. Probably will do future grocery trips at unusual times to try and avoid as many people as possible.

Regards,

Jason

Bunbury, Toon, skater and 3 others like this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The irony

punti, Lizzie and Smee like this.
  17. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Just a quick look at the news and you will see people hugging loved ones as arrive from an international flight. No wonder we are now going to see the quarantine hotel system put in place for all that enter Australia.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's fairly easy for us to stay close to home because we are retired. I've taken over all grocery trips due to hubby's immunity issues. He used to enjoy grocery shopping, probably because he didn't have to do the shopping for the past 37 years. ;)

He's still wandering our street, chatting with neighbours at a safe distance because he's more social than I am. I'm very happy at home.

What I find difficult is knowing if we are safe to have our son and his partner in for a coffee. They also are both working from home so technically they should be safe, but they also have to do food shopping, so there is a risk that one of us has come into contact with Covid without knowing it. Our son also has immunity issues, so needs to be careful.

So far, we are avoiding all unnecessary mingling, even family. It will get harder as time goes on.

And what do people do who have family members all working? A friend is a nurse, and she's keeping quite apart from, and sleeping in a different bed to her husband, because of her higher risk.

I heard it put well... your quick cup of coffee with your neighbour puts you at risk of catching the virus from your neighbour's daughter's boyfriend's workmate.

So, whilst understanding the risk, those who still must work are simply unable to be as careful as they would if they didn't have to work.

I'm guessing in those countries with a full lockdown, this incidental risk wouldn't be happening?

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2020
    HUGH72, JASA and Toon like this.
  19. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

<Facepalm> If this is not a reason for "enhanced" Taser testing, especially in the current environment, I don't know what is.

Dan Donoghue and Lizzie like this.
  20. geoffw

Apparently, now that the Queensland NSW border has closed, police are checking the Pacific Highway crossing, but other border crossing.

So now there are illegal immigrants swarming across the borders, and the entire economy is on the verge of collapse. Before we know it there will be people smugglers and wetbacks everywhere.

BUILD THAT WALL!

HUGH72 likes this.