Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Do you know any Big Hat no Cattle types?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by sash, 15th May, 2016.

1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The below cut out from the Millionaire Next Door by Stanley Danko brings a smile to my face. I see this with a lot of people who are too busy trying to out do each other on houses, cars, etc. But they have very little net worth. As the article says talk or even image is cheap...net worth can have a deceiving facade. Still holds true today. Even know some on the forum who are these types. Do you know any one who fits the below in your life?

Big Hat No Cattle

We first heard this expression from a thirty-five-year-old Texan. He owned a very successful business that rebuilt large diesel engines. But he drove a ten-year-old car and wore jeans and a buckskin shirt. He lived in a modest house in a lower-middle-class area. His neighbors were postal clerks, firemen, and mechanics.

After he substantiated his financial success with actual numbers, this Texan told us:

[My] business does not look pretty. I don't play the part . . . don't act it.... When my British partners first met me, they thought I was one of our truck drivers.... They looked all over my office, looked at everyone but me. Then the senior guy of the group said, "Oh, we forgot we were in Texas!" I don't own big hats, but I have a lot of cattle.

Hodge, Adele, mrdobalina and 5 others like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Sure do. People who spend their whole life presenting the veneer of success and trying to convince others of their success and wealth. The truly wealthy dont need to bother with this charade.

Sadly there are a number of forum members who also fall into this category and who reinvented themselves when moving over from Somersoft... all show no substance.

Hodge, R377, mrdobalina and 9 others like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Success is also a mindset thing...to a degree...but agree run your own race comes to mind....

But hey have to hand it to Nathan Birch...even though he promotes his wealth it he definitely has kicked some huge goals in less than 5 years. Not a plug for him by the way...but admire the gumption and can't die attitude! Obviously buyer be aware......across all fronts.

What is also interesting...is that there is a view not so much on SS but definitely in PC that if you were a battler and made good it was more real.

As for reinventing yourself...you seem to have done that also. Have you still got the IT business still ..as I see you are an Adelaide buyers agent now also? If so how do you do it?

Last edited: 15th May, 2016
    MTR and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Yes we do know a few Sash - it's called delusions of grandeur.
    small people who judge big people even though they do not have the guts to take a step out of their comfort zone or know what it's like to be a bigger person. :)
    I have zero tolerance for this behaviour - ignore :)

MTR likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

He he.....yeah know what ya mean....seen a few of those. ;)

As I said "Big Hat no Cattle"

Xenia likes this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Who are they? I need to borrow some money.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are you saying cattle prices are going to drop now too @sash !:mad:
    What will i do with the dozen studs i just purchased (bmv at the time;))

ashish1137 likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Plenty of these show ponies around Mt Druitt let me tell you.

If you got a story they seem to have one better, be it property, money, cars, women, dregs, anything. You just can't beat them lol.

I remember one night at the local, we watched this fella fish tailing his car around the carpark.

Anyway, Big Mouth Matto , put his beer down and said to us "that's nothing, watch this".

He jumps in his car, starts spinning, ends up doing a donut and clips two parked cars. He jumps out and bolts down Carlisle Ave chased by several patrons lol who caught him and gave him a clipping lol.

9. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Was a member of SS/PC well before doing BA work. Furthering business ventures and adding income streams isnt reinventing.

IT business is going very well. I acquired another IT business that was in Adelaide and I moved from Sydney down here to run the Adelaide office. As I also hold a full real estate license in SA (RLA270712 for those who will inevitably start poking around), it makes it quite easy to do both since being the boss has its priveleges to go to opens and spend my time as I please :) A successful business should not require the owner to be killing themselves doing 80 hour weeks while their staff sit idle doing menial tasks, and I make a point of empowering staff to do their best to keep client sastisfaction high (very first client still with us today). I used to do crazy hours too (60-80) then realised delegation was key to it all.

I started my first business when I was 16 selling computers to my high school and have grown and developed both my IT and business skills over the past 20 years... certainly no reinventing or overstating of my background here. Have made money, lost a tonne of money in a business during GFC that almost wiped me out, and rebuilt again.

OC1, JamesGG, mrdobalina and 12 others like this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd say there are a lot of 'sales' type people who wear some MASSIVE hats in their leased cars and nice suits. It's debatable how important it is for them to make a good impression - I'd rather a genuine person than one that needs to fake it.

Cactus and Terry_w like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't have friends or family who are full of BS, who would want to spend time with fake people? Its pretty easy to work out who is genuine and who is not, choose wisely.

As for PC, the people I associate with outside the forum are the real deal and as far as I am concerned what they have is their own business,

Most important thing is to run own race, don't worry about what other people have or what they are doing, they wont pay your bills:)

Kate Moloney, Jacque, HUGH72 and 4 others like this.
  12. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Awesome post mate..

13. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agree 100%..Drive your own race and keep your eyes front and centre as its pretty easy to drive off the road if you continually look at the other drivers!!

wylie, DaveM, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  14. Xenia

You can never soar with the eagles if you keep scratching with the turkeys.
    If you want to be successful, hang out with successful people - you cannot ever go wrong with good genuine people.

Whitecat and alexm like this.
  15. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I'm curious, who are these people that you are referring to on PC?

Whitecat likes this.
  16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

shrouds in mystery. I'm curious too.

17. Xenia

Me too
    Who got reinvented?
    What does that even mean?

MTR likes this.
  18. Westminster

With the ability to have business memberships on PC some of us saw it as a good opportunity to change usernames and do some 'branding'.
    I became TigerDevelopments for about a week but then changed back to Westminster as I was more comfortable being Westminster and everyone knew me as Westminster.
    I did however get a business membership and signature which has allowed me to get some development consulting work along the way.
    I have a medium size hat with some small cattle (guinea pig farm :p)

[​IMG]

EN710, Xenia, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Who's that in the blue dress?

20. Westminster

That's my Sunday best on the farm

Chrispy likes this.