Health & Family Do you have private health insurance?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Observer, 5th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I was a Golf Pro for almost 30 years - from 1979, but had a 6 year period from 2002 to 2008 where I left the industry fulltime to be able to do a lot of the child care of our son.

I took a job in the ICU as a nurse assistant at Frangers Hospital from 02 to 05, and did a bit of Golf Teaching on the side as well. It allowed a lot more freedom of time for me (and wife) to care for our baby son (he was born in 2001) after my wife returned to work.

We moved to the USA in '05 for almost 3 years for my wife to complete an O/S nursing contract. During that time I played Mr.Mum, but managed to do a bit of casual Golf Teaching on an off while we were there.

I actually did a few "nurse resettling" contracts for the Nursing Agency that employed my wife while we were there as well.

We came back to Aus in early '08, I took a job as a Teaching Pro at a local golf club, did that for 18 months, but then left the industry completely when I bought the Tyre and Mechanical workshop in late '09, which we currently still own.

I am not a mechanic; I employ 2 mechanics (one recently started with us), but I have had to become very "hands on" in the workshop in recent years, so have learned a lot about it in the 7 years we've owned the business.

Observer likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

An apple a day keeps the doctor away! If you end up in hospital chances are youre a goner!!

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I wont take private insurance regardless of income, info is available google search why

4. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

@MTR there are lots of pros and cons on Google. Could you please explain you reasoning?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ultimately, each of us makes the decision on whether to take our private insurance or not. I guess this thread is like many others... it will go round and round and nobody will change their mind anyway. I will never drop my cover. I'll whinge about how expensive it is, but will keep it. Each year I will look at what I've spent on things that are important to me (free glasses, semi-regular massage, regular chiropractor, physio for the son still on our cover, acupuncture when we need it).

Each time I've added those things up (and we don't do all of that regularly, some is on a "when needed" basis), I've always been better off with the cover. If I dropped the cover, I'd likely choose not to have a massage when I need one. Would that hurt me? Maybe. Would I miss my semi-regular massage. YES! I didn't discover massage until I was 50 and now I love it. This is deep tissue to help with a shoulder issue I have and general upkeep. It hurts, but feels fantastic afterwards.

If we didn't have physio, chiro, massage, or didn't need glasses, we would drop the extras cover and just pay as we go. But so far, it is cheaper to have the cover and pay the gap.

Those who don't want private cover, and don't have it, will likely never change their mind either.

So, I guess it comes down to the individual.

melbournian likes this.
  6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Same here - i have regular acpuncture (monthly), remedial massage (monthly), physio(maybe 2-3 times a year) dental cleans (twice a year free), dental no gap stuff done. it works out the insurance pays more than my actual payments.

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

A very close relative had a heart bypass operation about 18 months ago.

Let me assure all of you that Top Hospital Cover was incredibly cheap, relatively speaking.

Insurance is just that. You never need it until you need it.

Feel free to consider negative gearing some Medibank Private (or NIB or other) stock so the dividends pay your premium....

Should you get tapped on the shoulder, and it will happen sooner or later, you will appreciate the definition of foresight (or serendipity...)