Do you have household worker insurance?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Blueskies, 23rd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Household worker insurance

I was in a training course today, led by a workplace safety expert with experience working with Queensland WHS. he told us that many people are unaware that their insurance policy may not cover injuries sustained by individuals working at your private residence. Many people think that their public liability insurance will cover them, but in many cases apparently it does not extend to if you have engaged the services of someone to work at your property.

I was quite surprised by this, especially if I hired a licensed tradesman to work for me. He was adamant that in the case of many workers such as cleaners, childcare, groundskeepers, Airtasker, and even licenced sole tradesmen (not companies) that if they injured themself working at your house, then WorkCover would pay their costs, and then they would come after you for reimbursement. He advised that you need a different category of insurance called household worker insurance.

he gave an example of a person who had some friends around to help him build a pergola. He didn't even pay them just put on a BBQ afterwards. One of the people doing the work was a licensed Carpenter, he fell and badly injured his neck. He got a payout from WorkCover for over a million dollars, then WorkCover pursued the property owner because the BBQ was deemed as having engaged his services! Scary stuff!

I plan to call my insurance to ensure I am covered for this type of thing.

willair likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    We have had it for years.
    Nominal cost. (Qld)
    Marg

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Like Marg, we have had it for many years. I think we pay two years at a time and it is really cheap.

4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

You cant buy household workers insurance in NSW - the worker needs to have their own insurance. I guess it is a way to try and stop cash in hand workers, but I think it is less than ideal.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I called my insurer a few years back and all NSW home owner policies include cover for employees under state law and its free without need for a specific policy until the wages paid exceed the statutory cap. Then you must obtain cover. If a claim occurs the employer without a policy is charged a $175 admin fee and must assist the person return to work.
    • you pay $7500 or less in annual wages, and
    • you don't employ an apprentice or trainee, and
    • you’re not a member of a group for premium purposes.
    Covers cleaners and others (nanny) you EMPLOY. My cleaner operates a small business in a company. That company employs the worker, not me.

Canstar have a good state by state review
    Domestic Worker Compensation Cover - Canstar

Blueskies likes this.