House & Home Do you have a safe?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

I don't have a microwave either, but that's because I prep everything from scratch.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, my parents owned a hardware store. Someone broke in through the rough and had all the power tools in the hardware store at their disposal to attempt to open the safe - no success!

3. Mombius Hibachi

Crashplan looks alright, but if you're going to backup locally (ie: to other computers on your home network) then you might as well just use bittorrent sync. It's so easy to set up and use and your stuff isn't in the cloud. It also backs up in real time to any device that is switched on, not once a day.

Crashplan just looks like the developers have mashed BittorrentSync and your stock standard online backup software together into one package.

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2015
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree it ain't going anywhere once it's

Funny
    That reminds me of the guy who broke into the bike store nearby, and rode off with a bike, what next... (no helmets missing), perhaps he came prepared..... o_O

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is very true.
    Gems and jewellery is in the vast majority of cases, are a horrible investment [ purely financially speaking] . Retailers mark it up about 300%. It is horribly illiquid, and getting it liquid in places like cash converters results in <10% of retail.
    The main exception to this is ultra fine quality- ie top auction house quality, and that will likely set you back the price of a house.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Crashplan is brilliant because it seamlessly lets you backup to any number of devices, both local, over the internet or to the cloud.

It also stores multiple versions of files to protect you from accidental deletion or from undetected file corruption where you need to restore an older version.

I have my media server set up as a Crashplan server, all my local machines back up to it over my LAN, while my parents laptops, my inlaws laptop, my sister's laptop, my sister-in-law's laptop - all back up to my central Crashplan server over the internet.

My parents also back up to each other's machines for fast local restore if necessary.

For everyone else, if they lose all their data, I can restore from my server to a new drive and get it to them - which is typically much faster than restoring all their data across the internet or from the cloud.

Either way, all machines also backup to the cloud (with full encryption) for worst-case scenario restores.

I highly recommend Crashplan.

The only caveat is that Crashplan does NOT provide bare-metal backup, so if you lose your hard drive, you can't restore the entire OS to a new drive and get up and running again quickly - Crashplan is data only.

I use Macrium Reflect for bare-metal backups to cover for hardware failure.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But who cares about investment aspect, I buy to wear and enjoy. Never buy jewellery, luxury cars etc for growth, you buy if you can afford IMO.

As far as diamonds go, definately don't buy diamonds at retail prices. Buy loose stone at wholesale price via gemologist/wholesaler, much cheaper.
    Retailers in many cases sell diamonds with no certificates and pushing clients to buy certain grades because they know most have no clue what they are actually buying.

MTR

8. Mombius Hibachi

Bittorrent does all that too, only in real time.

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Crashplan is real-time too (check for updates once per minute - close enough), if you want it to be.

I did a quick Google search looking for comparisons and came up with a half-dozen articles discussing how people are using both BittorrentSync AND Crashplan :rolleyes:

10. Mombius Hibachi

Ah, okay. When I had a look at the Crashplan site, it said it does an automatic backup daily.

11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I know someone that had it happen to. And there was no power at the time.

If you're going to rob MTR its best to be prepared

12. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Yeh, bring Scooby snacks for her dogs

D.T. likes this.
  13. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

soooo MTR

you have diamond rings in a $99 safe in your wardrobe...

address?

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have them on my fingers most of the time and I also work from home, and as mentioned safe is only one small aspect to security we have an armed/monitored alarm system, good luck with the angle grinder you have 3 minutes and that is if you can find the safe;) and 2 yappy dogs. Anyone steps into our front yard and the dogs go ballistic.

MTR:)

15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have a safe word does that count?

16. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

Reminds me of a job I attended to once many years ago when I was doing night patrols working for a private security company.

I had arrived to an office which had been broken into, and on inspection I noticed an open safe.. Initially I was wondering how it was opened so quickly as it took me less than 7 minutes to get there.

After inspecting the safe more thoroughly, only then did I realise, it was still full of cash. Apparently the secretary forgot to close and lock it upon leaving for the weekend and the burglar didn't see it. . One unlucky thief and one lucky business onwner/secretary. ..

geoffw likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lol
    Dumb and dumber:)

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Cheese n rice - that is dumb luck!

19. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

It's recommended to have 3 backups of your data in separate locations, don't just rely on a safe. In spirit of the recent "How Safe are your Passwords" thread, to keep your personal data secure, consider using a secure cloud drive like www.mega.nz or www.spideroak.com instead of the usual insecure options provided by the common popular cloud drives. If you really need to use the big cloud drives, please consider encrypting your data on a storage volume like Truecrypt/Veracrypt before uploading to them.

20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member