Do you have a mentor?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by qonyx_sydney, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thomas8888

thomas8888 Well-Known Member

Negative Star - money hungry, gimmicks, not professional----advance property strategies

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2016

Saw an ad on Facebook by FREEDOM 360 one day titled "Small Developments Made Easy", having a background in the real estate industry, the title interested me because I wanted to learn more about developing real estate. At the free presentation, turned out its by Advanced Property Strategies, [name removed] will make everything sound so easy because he has the strategies, and that can make BIG profit. He used all the gimmicks to attract you, very much wishy washy and confused you, that enticed you to join his course to learn further. Some attract ions: 1. find a free block of land; 2.No money down deal (he tells you can find a money partner to fund your project and deal maker gets 75% of profit) 3. find off market deals; 4.at the end when he introduced the mentoring program, he doesn't tell you how much, but you can put $500 for an hour free consultation to see if you are "qualified". 5. he said "I am here for a long term"

1. Free block of land: he was referring to backyards
    2. No money down: find a money partner so no money down for you (but when you get serious, he will tell you you actually need to second mortgage your property for security, or depends on what you can negotiate with your money partner. and by now he will tell you because of your experience, your profit share can be 20%).
    3. Off market deals: he tells you to go gumtree.com and door knocking
    4. Free consultation with $500 to register: be very careful, if you do decide to take his course, the cooling off period starts when you paid $500, you will have to argue with him to get it backdate.
    5. Here for the long term: NOT. as soon as you raised concerns about the course, he will tell you the cooling off is passed, no downgrade no refund, he would defend himself more than anything, no courtesy, no customer service, no follow up. (Lucky I asked to split $25k, I paid only $15k, but as soon as I have doubt, I try to be polite and ask to downgrade to $6k course, and I got all the cold shoulders)

During that 1 hour "Free consultation", half of it small talk, I felt he was not quite genuine because he said something that wasn't true, but I thought maybe its a mistake, I will give it a go and see more. I wanted to challenge myself, wanted to succeed. Before I paid, I felt weird already that I couldn't find any review about him on the internet, two of my friends advised me his course is no good and too expensive, my colleague also warned me it will be just a waste of money.

[name removed] would try to make you feel challenged that if you have what it takes you will succeed, tell you 70% of what you need to succeed is psychology, and not to listen to negative people around because they want to put you down to make them feel better. I thought paying $25k for one year personal mentoring I can get a hand in hand guidance. But no, you will only be contacted by so called assistant who seemed to get his instructions wrong, get our details and date wrong (The presentation day was 10th and we were told to put $500 to get free consultation, it is put on the form as "$500 deposit paid on 8.5.2016. Very impressive skills). Worst one as I remember at the so called "Deal makers Dinner", when I asked I need more support and motivation, he said "you need to motivate yourself". Farout, so people pay $25k for personal mentoring to motivate themselves. Not to mention he is based in Brisbane, and he doesn't come to Sydney except for his free presentations and the $6k 3day program in Sydney (that also I didn't realise until later).

Coming back to after signed up, first activity is not til a month later which is past the cooling off, no way you can evaluate the course before that. I knew his program in May and joined his "Boardroom" meeting in Brisbane in June, but soon after he stopped communicating because he went on holiday with his family and didn't come back in loop til end of July, then I got a call from his assistant to arrange a time for catch up call in August. (Remind you, to that date I was still a member of $25k program)

His programs are very disorganised and ill planned. One activity during the $6000 3day program was that, he asked you to go out to Parramatta westfield, and ask people for donations, and we can choose any organisation we want, many of us sydney siders were in shock, how are we supposed to go out and ask for donations just like that?? well his response is "you don't have to do it, we do it twice in Brisbane and it was fine".

He also claimed he knows all the market, I was concerned about the market, he advised his strategies can make money in any market, and he knows all the market, including Sydney, he told me he has students from Sydney. As a real estate agent in Sydney, I can assure you he doesn't know a thing about sydney market, all he knows is doing small development in brisbane, not even the property market. Even still, this guy only sees money, and he likes to make quick money that wouldn't leave him trouble, he has all the things he needs to protect himself. Also, when I went up to Brisbane to join the so called Diamond program "boardroom", it turns out only one elderly man is from Sydney but he only does deals in Brisbane. Most of them are young people who have quit their jobs to do his program, but then they only realised they lose their borrowing power without their job, and there is no guarantee they can find someone who would put down all money for your project without a second mortgage. Most of these guys are in limbo because they can't find a deal and kept thinking if they can do one deal, the money will be worth. Please think really really carefully before you would even want to go to his seminar, he has ways to entice you and he would give you free tickets for your friend to go to other activities there again another chance for him to take people's money. What he does is to drive your greed out to motivate you, he is no property educator, definitely not in markets outside Brisbane. Freedom 360 helped marketed it titled "Small Development Made Easy", but you get very little knowledge and skills, most ideas have already been around for long time, he made them sound like "secrets" but really nothing new.

Conclusion: There no free lunch and easy money, and always trust your instinct, especially there are more than one alarm going off. (btw, when I attended the $6000 3day program which included in $25k Diamond program, first day people already complained its a wrong setting, its like a seminar setting, which is wrong for a course like that. time from 9am to 6pm as scheduled but no water no beverage provided. Second day we have tables and water in the centre. Still, no beverages and no lunch. That is a $6000 3 days course setting for you, so you may want to imagine what he will deliver for $25k to you. Forgot to mention, the most valuable presenter is a lady who does deals in Hunter region and New castle, who has no association with [name removed], never his student, she was invited to do a general presentation of the guidelines and example small developments you can do in NSW, best 20mins ever in 3 days, however, [name removed] didn't pay her for the presentation so she didn't prepare to give out the slides. I know he just wanted to learn about Sydney himself, but we all sitting there paying $6000 to learn but he doesn't want to pay that 1 person???) Real disappointment and strongly NOT RECOMMENDED, never ever.
    If you are interested in NSW market, [name removed] from symbionproperty is all you need to contact, she is genuine and has values, she deserves more than that with all respect.

2. thomas8888

thomas8888 Well-Known Member

Nhan Nguyen review

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Sup nephew :cool:

aussieB, mcarthur, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

My work provides me with a great lady who I chat to two hours a month about pretty much anything that goes on. She doesn't judge or criticise me but follows up on progress and calls me to account if I get carried away.

It is a real joy and I encourage it to anybody. And yes she is paid - it is easier that way so it is all about me.

Gforce likes this.
  5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I've got one. My manwhore is @sanj

6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Has anyone done Dymphna Boholt Platinum program ? costing over 20k. But I reckon 20K is not a big number in property investing since any right or wrong decision can swing me back and forth 10 times of that.

Not sure I should join or not ?

The 3 day bootcamp is very impressive to me, apart from some sales portion which is common in all seminars.

Gforce likes this.
  7. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Just search these forums and you'll see the general opinion on her. Also have a look on ASIC website for their opinion also.

MTR and Kangaroo like this.
  8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

I suggest - spend a week reading all interviews on Somersoft. Those are worth more than the 20k on a seminar!

Questions:
    1. What are you hoping to learn from this course?
    2. What will it do for your investments?
    3. Why would it be unacceptable to not do the course and learn via Somersoft and Property Chat?

Kangaroo likes this.
  9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Hi Ms Ali,

I would like to learn how to be a small developer to accelerate, but I find it very difficult since :eek:ne: reading legal document is very time consuming for me since English is not my first language, two: I came from IT background and there is a huge gap for me in terms of knowledge.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you done a Google????? Do it and search here fit that name!
    I'll go halves in the 20k for that advice:cool:

Kangaroo likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Do a search on PC, please don't waste your money on DB Platinum program I know 2 people who have almost gone bankrupt taking their advice.

Kangaroo likes this.
  12. Wiz of Aus

Wiz of Aus Active Member

As far as PC & Sommersoft members - Rolf Latham & Alex Straker are 2 awesome mentors that work together in an amazing wealth development program. You know what they say....2 heads are better than 1. :)

Kassy likes this.
  13. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Life-changing.

Kassy likes this.
  14. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Do they charge a fee? How do they mentor someone? Is that as in helping them find a property to purchase?

Gforce and Kassy like this.
  15. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

So here's the question?
    • How do your mentoring arrangements work?
    • What do you pay?
    • How do you measure the correlation in results?
    • Has anyone had any experience with Nhan Nguyen's mentoring product?

I call him and he listens and he will come back with 'have you thought of x' or 'why do you think that'. It isn't about this is the answer or here is the fish it is about teaching you how to fish.

I pay him nothing besides gratitude of thanks

As there is no formal agreement we do not measure results but the biggest one is my net worth growing (which it is).

No I haven't

jim1964 and Kassy like this.
  16. Phill74

Phill74 Well-Known Member

Can you advise here who this is, what generally what the costs are?

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its a mentor who is very experienced with many aspects of property development with many contacts and I can engage him on a consultanting basis. Per hour rate usually.

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Good point...will consider putting my money down in case I want to go bankrupt.....;)

Seriously what were these people thinking...what is so hard about doing the ole fashioned way..learning it yourself...everyone is looking for a silver bullet these days.

TreeGrove and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its brainwashing, perfectly normal people who let greed get in the way of common sense.

20. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

I agree. I've always thought of a mentor as someone you wouldn't pay money to. I must be bit behind the times. I mentor others (not on property matters) and still have a couple of people mentoring me. I wouldn't dream of having money changing hands.

Beano and D.T. like this.