Travel & Holidays Do you go overseas every year?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Liarliar, 14th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Liarliar

Liarliar Well-Known Member

Yes spend all your money !!!

A lot of people here wasting money again

2. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Retired now and hardly ever home Off on my 3rd overseas trip in 3 weeks time to Florida then home for 4 weeks and then back to NY with my son for 2 weeks. I travel Business Class these days so I can hit the ground running

This is what We worked and saved for, I am now enjoying myself. We went without for a very long time. Alan never got to enjoy it. I worked until I was 68 so feel
    It's time to do what I want now

Ted Varrick, Phil_22, Toon and 11 others like this.
  3. Kasi

Kasi Active Member

It's fair to spend your money the way you enjoy it, however I honestly get surprised so many people have holidays overseas annually. I guess I just never grew up with that expectation or desire.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It is your perception that they are wasting money. Maybe in your eyes, but not in their's.
    I think you are outvoted, @Liarliar.

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We go overseas atleast once a year, but only to asia as that is all I can justify money wise. We got tickets Melb to Vietnam return for under 1k for four of us recently with Jetstar/Airasia. I see it as our treat for our hard work and the savings we make in other areas. We don't eat out a lot or go retail shopping regularly (unless we actually need to), so for me thats what I go without for.

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same. We often go return for $1000-$1400 for the four of us. We get to spend quality uninterrupted family time with the kids and no distractions. I feel like it makes up for the go go go lifestyle we have throughout the work week. We don't eat out a lot or do much on weekends because we are all exhausted anyway from school and work. We go without brunches and trendy dinners etc so we can do this a couple of times a year. We usually go once a year with the kids, once on our own, occasionally if I see an irresistible sale we will sneak in a 3rd trip usually Jetstar or Airasia for next to nothing. Our airfares literally cost not a lot more per person than one dinner with the family out in Melbourne.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Japan, Europe, Canada all sound great, hoping to take a Trip to NZ or Canada next vacation

Not a fan of places like Bali, Thailand, Philippines so its hard to look elsewhere for cheap(ish)holidays

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Amen to that! Life is so busy during the week that we love a bit of face to face family time.

Otie likes this.
  9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I think that if folks are good money managers and can manage to both save for investing and go on holidays either overseas or locally each year then they should not feel too guilty.

Folks who dont save any money for investing and instead spend much of their income on lifestyle should feel guilty - but many of them probably don't...so they will probably never change, I guess.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is studying full time and working the maximum number of hours allowed.She's passionate about travelling. She's currently in Borneo, and will be going to Vietnam later in the year. These are study trips with scholarships, but has plenty of time for sightseeing. She ends up a little out of pocket, additionally loses Centrelink while she's out of Australia.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

At least 4 times pa, but it is in the main business, trying to work out how I can fit in a holiday with each trip.

MTR:)

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Liarliar keep in mind alot of folks on here have 'F you' money. I've been overseas more than 10 times in the last 2 years. Pleasure and business. I love my frequent flyer points too :D

Phil_22 likes this.
  13. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

lol

14. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

Go O/S once a year, we like to go for at least 3 weeks, anything shorter than not worth the airfares imo

Jess Peletier likes this.
  15. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I have zero interest in going overseas. Misses wants to, but meh from me, she's been all over the world in years gone by however.

16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I'd rather "waste my money" than waste my life....

Each to their own.

Ed Barton, Toon and Angel like this.
  17. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Got back from my latest trip yesterday and have 3 more booked in the next 9 months.

For my trip to altitude in Kenya last week, my group of 9 was supported by this large group of guides, porters and kitchen staff. Incredibly humble and friendly people.

IMG_9048.JPG

A number of these guys have been supporting tours for in excess of 10 years. This type of travelling is a great way to directly support the livelihoods of people in struggling economies.

Adele, geoffw and Sackie like this.
  18. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

My initial motivation behind buying IPs was so I could travel anywhere anytime

I travel 1-2/year os but my kids are young so it limits me

Age 20-30 I lived os in 4 countries but working; I didn't use any savings ever and was able to invest in sydney from abroad

My kids are dual citizens and we will live os again when both in school - most EU countries have reciprocal Medicare and international schools are cheaper than in sydney.

If you plan it well you can travel virtually for free as there are jobs for English speakers in every corner of the earth and airfares are cheaper than ever

I travelled for free, airfares paid for, as an international student, a volunteer, an English teacher in Italy all before age 20 - better to do this than drain your savings as a teenager:)

geoffw likes this.