Travel & Holidays Do you go overseas every year?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Liarliar, 14th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Liarliar

Liarliar Well-Known Member

a lot of you are on bigger wages than me but do you go overseas every year for a holiday ?

Whilst I have paid off my PPor, and practically most of my IP s I still feel guilty about taking annual leave this year to overseas Thailand , Europe perhaps or Asia

There is a combination of guilt , for example I keep thinking that 7k -8k for the holiday could be going to another IP as a deposit

I could use that 7k to pay down a IP to get more equity

I could just stay home the 4 weeks and save it ?
    But be bored I guess

Do you feel guilty going on a overseas holiday every year ?
    I worked out it will cost about 7k all up

Motivational speaker Gary Vaynerchuk doesn't believe in holidays !

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2017
  2. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Why are you investing?
    Wealth for wealth, or
    Wealth for freedom and lifestyle ;)

Sonamic, Pumpkin and legallyblonde like this.
  3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I have the same issue... I am casual so I do not get paid leave. I now budget for holidays like I do other expenses. So the money is set aside for relaxation. Thai flights were under 500, western hotels were 30 bucks a night and spending money was about 70 a day. Everything is so cheap! I feel little guilt because everything was so cheap

4. Guest

Guest Guest

No. The past two years I've been twice each year (Japan, Europe, Bali, Europe) :D

I go overseas for holiday most years. Often it's cheaper than it would be to holiday here (even after flights).

Toon and Redwing like this.
  5. Liarliar

Unless your on a good Salary dont you feel guilty about wasting it ?

Even if you are on a good salary you could of bought another Ip with that

You dont know whats going to happen Tommorrow

You may needed that money !!!

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I go to Manly a few times each year. Pack all my luggage and hop on the high speed ferry from the wharves next to the overseas passenger terminal. Spend a week in the Novotel facing the ocean.

Gladys, Bayview, datto and 2 others like this.
  7. Liarliar

I was thinking of heading out Western Suburbs out to Mt Druitt and staying in a Airbnb among the housing commission homes.

Will be a great experience, meet some interesting people i guess

Magoo and Redwing like this.
  8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It depends what you are interested in doing with your time. Happiness is not a location as they say. Boarding a plane and turning up somewhere does not guarantee you'll have a wonderful time. A person interested in hiking could likely have a better time scooting into the nearest national park or exploring central Australia.

Kasi, Marg4000, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Or you may be dead and you won't have seen the world.

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I love going overseas, we've been twice this year but that's not normal. Bali is super cheap for us and is so relaxing and wonderful for the whole family - I see it as an investment in my family and business, as a burnt out mum/broker does no one any good.

But we would not have done this if we couldn't afford too - we can also live very cheap when we need too, and still be happy.

11. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I love travelling and do so as often as possible. I have no problem in using my annual leave up and most of the time wish I had more. For me, I invest and work hard to insure that I can do the things that I want to do. A big part of that is travel. You only get one chance at life so you might as well do what you want to.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

On an above median salary, but nothing extraordinary.

I probably could have come close to funding the deposit for another cheap IP (with the last 2 - 3 years worth of holidays) or bought a stack more gold, but to what end? I already live pretty tightly in other areas (don't: smoke, drink much, fill my house and closet with frivolous purchases), have to spend some money enjoying life, right?

[​IMG]

legallyblonde, Toon, Magoo and 11 others like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No :)
    I don't usually feel guilty spending on experience as long as it's planned and within means. Years to come good experience is what you will remember, not how much you spend on it.

My way to get around feeling guilty: I set aside holiday money in different account and think of it as it's already gone.

Toon likes this.
  14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I love overseas trips. I love the sense of adventure of checking out a new place - or exploring different areas of countries I've visited before.

Before kids we traveled A LOT. When the youngest is 4 or 5 we'll continue again.

You said you've got a PPOR. Which city/town do you live in? Any chance of popping it on Airbnb while you're away? If you head to a cheap country (anywhere in SE Asia, South America, etc) the income from Airbnb would subsidise a large portion of your travels. Check with an accountant re CGT implications if you go down this path.

Cheers

Jamie

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We go a couple of time a year. About to head off to Honolulu in the next 1.5 weeks.

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Did a lot of overseas travel in my 20's, no real interest any more.

You could cash out some leave and use that towards an IP deposit, or renovation eg new toilet seats

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We started taking our kids OS when my youngest was 3. We love travelling together and the kids are great - I've been tempted to take them out of private school and spend the $$ on travel :D (with them...mostly ;) )

Phase2 likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I suppose it'll be like Western Plains Zoo but with the animals in vehicles.

datto, larrylarry and Martin73 like this.
  19. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

Got tired of it after travelling quite a bit as a child, also the Internet exists which seems to numb the experience.

20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hoping that I can do some travels next year due to finishing my recent tertiary studies. The world is such a big place and so many things to do and see. In my limited travel experiences, I can safely state that coffees in Australia are a hundred times better!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia