Do you feel like the bank owns you?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 2nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

They have a right to own me I guess - it's their money. Resi is a poor choice of investment without leverage. I can't understand why anyone would select resi as an investment using cash if cashflow was the desired end goal.

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2017
    Phase2 likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This always interests me. He made his money in property, used to be an agent I believe. We went to his office once for advice, and were advised not to get into more property.

I'm not saying the advice wasn't good, but it wasn't advice that suited our style or risk factor. I'm glad we did our own thing. Now that we have more money (thanks to property), we are looking at reducing our bank debt and putting more into shares and/or into superannuation. That lessens the impost of maintenance, rates, utilities, land tax etc, but without property, we wouldn't be where we are.

So, I look at the bank as a "necessary evil". I don't feel like they own me. I feel like I'm paying them to get us where we want to be.

2FAST4U and Phase2 like this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

How are you reducing debt Wylie - via P&I, extra repayments or selling down?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've just sold one property shared with another family member so I've placed proceeds off one loan and into offset against another. This gives us better cashflow, but keeps cash available for our DA. First job is to lift and shift a house off the proposed building envelope.

So debt is reduced temporarily until we draw back on those loans to continue our journey.

We will either do the minimum required to clear the building envelope (lift and shift) and continue to rent, or do a bigger job (lift, shift, build down to turn a 3x1 into a 4x2). If we do the bigger job, we will likely then sell. Extra rental return for just the lift and shift will be "zero". It will cost us approx $100k to get the house ready to rent again with nothing changed except position on the block.

I'm estimating about $250/300k to change a 3x1 to a 4x2 if we do the bigger job (lift, shift, build under). The extra rental return for that bigger job will likely not provide enough return on the total cost.

So, lift, shift renovate and improve possibly will return enough to recoup the money spent making it a better house.

I have a bit of homework to do, but for now, with rents fairly flat, we will leave current tenants in place. We are getting more rent now than if we were trying to find tenants..

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Rents have been flat in Brisbane for at least the last 5 years. Something's gotta give soon. But as long as developers keep building....

wylie likes this.
  6. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Just buy shares in the bank and then you own them.

Brady and Gockie like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a complicated story but basically I went 50/50 on an IP for a reno project that was too complicated to finance so there is a title kicking around somewhere. It's in Perth and the WA titles have some kind of 3d hologram. I have to have a close look at that.

Hologram

The hologram, which is a three dimensional image, will
    change colour slightly when you move the paper. It will
    reveal a map of Australia with a symbol in the middle.
    https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/open...05/DLI_Cert_of_Title_DL_broch_-_July_2005.pdf

EN710 likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just don't lose it...

Perthguy likes this.
  9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No. Never. Leverage is like a crowbar I've borrowed from my neighbour after being locked out of my quad deadbolted house. It's his crowbar, but it's not his house.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Doesn't worry me. I see banks as a partner. They make money, I make money.

No one ever put a gun to my head and said to take all these loans. It's my responsibility to manage it or sell. Simple.

EN710, wylie and hobo like this.