Cars & Motorbikes Do you consider your car to be an investment?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by kimba88, 29th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you consider your car to be an investment and upgrade it every few years?

1. Yes, i upgrade every few years to avoid mechanical hassles and its easier to sell

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. No, i'm happy to keep my car and pay for whatever mechanical issues that come about

43 vote(s)
    91.5%
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I look on my six months old Mazda3 as an investment, an investment in me, its modern, its safe, will be reliable for many years, got blue tooth, GPS, drives like a dream and has a long warranty.

When I picked it up, it was decked out in balloons on ribbons and a few days I later received a bottle of champers and a box of chocolates. WOW :eek: customer service has improved since I last bought a new car.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sorry to say but... The dealership was happy you bought it as they made a sale and you might recommend or use them again in the future.... just like Ray White gave me the keys to a place I bought in a lovely yellow box like a present and a room fragrance thingomajiggo with the wooden sticks in it.... and I give all my Airbnb guests Tim Tams for their stay... it makes them happy. Would you believe nearly half my guests thank me/write good comments about that? And the Tim tams only cost $2.50 per pack...
    20151229_185710.jpg
    11128355_10152966894990857_4576131933860567987_n.jpg

3. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

We have two cars. For his 40th, my other half got an AMG A45, which he loves to death (this was in 2014, when the waiting list for them was 8 months).

My car is a 2010 Caddy, long wheel base, which I love. It fits any amount of cr@p in it, which is great for when tenants move out and I change all the linen over.

Prior to getting hubby's car, we saw vehicles purely as workhorses. I still do, but my other half is now ruined ;)

4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

My car is 38 years old. It's not currently a desired/collectable car, but perhaps that will change. It may become an accidental investment. 5L V8 statesman. Don't drive it a lot so costs bugger all to maintain.

Fuel is a killer - uses a (large) tank in a couple of hundred k's around town. Get around 600k's a tank on the freeway. It's nice driving a lounge room though.

Westminster likes this.
  5. Gockie

Wow... talking about old cars... Sydney doesn't have many but up in Brisbane I saw them all over the place. So beautiful to see. No need to pass annual rego in QLD...

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@kimba88 well I'm glad to hear you have a practical car which is known for being practical :)

If you are going to get another then sell it privately rather than trade in. You will make more money (or less difference in out of pocket change over).

kimba88 likes this.
  7. Westminster

Our oldest but newest investment ;)

Wonder if I could call it a work ute?

image.jpeg

8. Gockie

She's a beauty!

9. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

That is stunning! What is it!?

10. Westminster

1948 Chevy Pickup - believe it or not it has aircon, power windows and a USB charger. Someone spent a mint on restoring it then sold it. Unfortunately, for them, you rarely get back the money you put into upgrades/restoration of cars. She is beautiful though.
    Uses dollar notes for petrol like @Ed Barton's statesman.

Gockie likes this.
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Whats under the hood WM? Im guesing not the original engine.

I like that you still pretend that the rev head in the family is your hubby...

You know you have more cars than I have boats...o_O

Westminster likes this.
  12. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Would be awesome if this thing had an ls1 in it to continue the whole "retro-tech" style.

13. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

See Change, why did you choose the Mazda 6? Brand new or second hand?

I am thinking about getting a second hand,couple years old ,Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo. Any thoughts?

14. Westminster

It does belong to hubby so I will ask what is under the hood. You still have more boats than I have cars ;)

15. Westminster

Mazda 6 is much better than Mondeo. The Mondeo never really caught on here and so spares ect are more expensive and resale will suffer as not as popular. From all accounts the Mazda is better built too.

Doncossack likes this.
  16. Westminster

Ok it's some blah blah but not a ls1. Ls1 sounds very familiar though so there might be one in mrhoonminster's torrie

Blah blah translated is: Australian delivered by Holden in 1948 Chevy narrow body pickup truck, used as mail truck for Coonabarabran.

Boxed chassis extensive mods, 4 link 31 spline 9" true trac, Jag Series 2 front end on self leveling bags.

"7.4L" Big block 620hp Crate motor, MSD 6AL, MSD Atomic TBI EFI 1000cfm, Aeromotive fuel system(combined swirl pot and pump in alloy drop tank) with PTFE lines.

Blacky and Daniel007 like this.
  17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Someone has spent a lot of money on the motor alone for that car,620hp auto,plus the jag front end,and once the blower kicks in you would want to hang on,iv'e seen some not this model go through the dealers repo auctions,and when you look at the receipts just for the motors alone
    some between 30-50k for a worked usa made imported block then when you see what the final auction price it will shock people..

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

They don't hold there value mercs,the older pre 2004 amg's private sales are value,i picked up a 2002 mercedes slk32 amg 2 years ago one owner from new,less then 70 klm;s logbooks
    for 12k,they paid just over 59k with the extras and the motor signed,and everytime i drive it
    it's a different experience,something your husband will enjoy for a long time,0-100 klm's in 5.5
    seconds..

JenW and Westminster like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a 'real lady's car' Myf. :)

JenW likes this.
  20. Westminster

Yup like I said, you rarely get back the money you spend on a restore. Strangely enough the guy that did it basically finished it then sold it. Didn't even really get a chance to enjoy spending all that money before he made a loss on it.