Do you believe in fate?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Tim & Chrissy, 22nd Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

I don't think there's such a thing as fate. That would imply that our choices don't matter, everything is pre-ordained. That's a depressing thought - what would be the point if we're just playing bit parts in somebody's play?

Ambit, Tim & Chrissy and BigKahuna like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

JacM, your post reminds me of a story someone told me recently. She is a woman in her early 40s and was in San Francisco for a conference. She felt a little uncomfortable when a black man walking the same way as her spoke with her (asked the time I think) and then proceeded to walk along with her, not threatening or too close, just making small talk whilst they walked in the same direction. She said she was conscious of her safety but continued to speak with him, didn't feel threatened but was alert to any change in her "gut feeling".

When they got to her hotel, she said her goodbyes. He stopped and said "Can I just thank you for not being scared of me?" She said she was humbled by this and often we don't realise that people like this man probably are rebuffed and are treated with suspicion. I realise she could easily have been approached by someone with bad intent (but that is not the point of this story).

BigKahuna, Perthguy and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Ummm; I'm not so sure... :p

Perthguy and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  4. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

Why about all the things that we don't notice? Did they happen for a reason? Who controls what we should notice and what we don't notice?

However I have found being nice to people goes a long way

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  5. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

No such thing as fate.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"There's no fate but what we make for ourselves." - Terminator 2

My brother and my brother in law are both living the fate they made for themselves. My brother bought an uninhabitable dump in the Melbourne hills. It's a mess and even more uninhabitable now than when he bought it. My brother in law made bad real estate investment decisions and is still paying a loan for a property he has not owned for more than 5 years. Not fate. They are living the consequences of their decisions.

7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

My coincidence is a bit different to yours but I thought I would share it.

My wife's pop had passed away and we had the wake at a local club. This is around the time when the coca cola cans had names on the cans. I went up to the bar to buy about 10 cans of coke and they said to come back in 10mins because they just had to stick them in the fridge.

When I returned to buy the 10 cans of coke they all had pop as the name on the can. The whole case they put in the fridge had pop on them.

Bran, freyja, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Fate :cool:

Brian84 likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Poor Jeff. He deserves a helping hand after all those years as premier of Victoria

10. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I don't believe in fate or karma but I do believe you reap what you sow.

MTR, Westminster and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I found a long-lost second cousin at work last week. I'd never met nor heard of him before, but he had an old surname of my family and I flat out asked his grandfathers name. Long story short, and after a whole series of increasingly detailed questions - his grandfather was my grandmother's brother. Allowed me to reunite two halves of the family. Was very cool!

Gockie and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Coincidence, fate or karma - call it what you will. Doing good deeds is always good.

I'm a helper. Dunno why, I just like helping people. A few weeks ago I was travelling down the freeway with the kids in the car and saw a car trying to get out of the middle lane. Some douche didn't want to let her in and she ended up putting on on hazard lights and he then started pacing her as she slowed down. Eventually she got so slow he gave up pacing and just went on and she got into the emergency lane. I was a couple of cars behind and stopped to see if she was ok - I thought she would just be upset by the douche behaviour of the guy that wouldn't let her change lanes. Well it turns out she had run out of petrol.
    She was a young lady in her 20s and quite upset. I told her that there was a petrol station about 2km away and I could take her there to get some petrol. Long story, less long, she'd been released from hospital that day (still had her hospital bracelet on) after being assaulted. She didn't think to check the fuel levels and only had $10 on her. I paid for a jerry can and the petrol and told her to keep the jerry can in her boot and pay it forward one day when she finds someone who's run out of petrol.

It won't prevent bad things happening to me but helping others helps even out the balance sheet in my head some days.

kimba88, Vultures, vbplease and 8 others like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Poor girl... :( thanks for doing that good deed @Westminster

14. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

Life is simply a series of extremely improbable events.
    Fate doesn't exist - you can influence outcomes.

There was a series of extremely improbable events that led to meeting your spouse, getting a great job or deal. But your actions had an influence on that outcome.
    This a worth reading - thank you @Steven Ryan. We (& other animals) are all excellent pattern matchers (Darwin had words to say about those who weren't), but we sometimes tend to see too many patterns and call them fate or ghosts or Gods Will. They aren't - it's just one of the billions of possible extremely improbable events happening to you right now, and our brains have been programmed to try to make sense of it, and form a pattern, and learn from it & continue to survive.

Vultures, HUGH72 and Bran like this.
  15. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I don't know if I believe in 'fate'. It seems a bit much to say that things a predestined and choice makes no difference.

I do believe in oppertunities. That all of us are presented with infinite oppertunities all the time, and that it is our choices, our decisions that determines what we do with those oppertunities and the direction our life takes. And I think most of the time, most of us fail to even recognise these oppertunities for what they are until much further down the track.

16. devank

devank Well-Known Member

To be honest, I can't believe people like @Westminster exist.
    She is managing my duplex development.
    Right now, I'm going through a bit of health drama. This was her message...
    "I'll keep things ticking along here for you so don't worry about that."
    After all, I'm no one to her! She isn't going to benefit much from me either.

wylie, Ambit, neK and 1 other person like this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Pffft you aren't no one @devank . I've met you, your lovely wife and kids. You and your family are your main priorities right now, I can handle the stuff over here.