Do we need a certifier ? - Sydney PPOR Reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by See Change, 15th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We're going to do a Reno on our PPOR . Single story house . 1920's with 60's addition . Turramurra ( Ku ring gai )

Works will involve
    • Removing an internal wall between existing Kitchen and Dining room
    • Converting current family room into a Main bedroom / walk-in robe - this will involve constructing an internal wall / doorway
    • Converting current study which is off the current family room into an ensuite - just internal fit out.
    • Decreasing an internal double door into a single door.
    • Moving one wall of the laundry so it includes the adjacent corridor . There is an external door at the end of this corridor which , as a result of moving the wall , will exit from the Laundry .
    • We're not making any external changes to the house

So for those in the know , do we need a Certifier ?

Cliff

@Scott No Mates

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@See Change - any wall is deemed structural so approval is required.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Must be different then in Vic (in my experience anyway) where only structural changes need a certifier.

In my house some walls are structural (I.e supporting) and others aren’t.

A simple non structural wall removal wouldn’t need a certifier (might need an engineering opinion to prove it’s non structural).

Last edited: 15th Aug, 2018
  4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

i would have thought you only need a engineer sign off but wouldn’t need a Private certifier for the wall removal as long as a license builder and trades are doing the work.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would expect you need a building permit for any structural changes so that may require certification.

If a qualified builder or carpenter told me a wall wasn’t structural, then I’d take that at face value.

6. See Change

Scott

Is it just the removal of the wall that's deemed structural , or putting in the new wall as well ?

Would all elements of the work be considered requiring a certifier ?

Cliff

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you call in a builder to quote, he would be the one to tell you whether the work would need plans and/or certification.

hobartchic and Joynz like this.
  8. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

It seems to be on the border between a Certifier (Complying Development) or a DA.

Ku-ring-gai council is probably the most problematic in Sydney so you need to get it right. Most councils have a department where they can assess a development under the Complying Development code and can give a fee quote to be competitive with other private Certifiers.

Maybe call the council and speak to those guys to see if they consider it to be Complying Development or not?

9. See Change

No , it's on the borderline on whether it's an " exempt " and doesn't need anything or is a complying development.

Under exempt development are " Minor Building Alterations ( internal and External ) "
    but I haven't found clear cut guidelines on what Minor Building Alterations are .

We did . they said they weren't sure and we should call a Certifier . We did that and rather than answer our questions he gave a quote to do the work which started at 2K with additional work at $200 / hour

I'm going to call council again and ask more specific questions .

Cliff

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

All this talk sounds like $$$$$

Whats your risk appetite like? You could get the work done with no certification or council donations and run the risk of the neighbours dobbing you in. OR go the $premium option of DA's and certification etc etc

When it falls in the "to hard basket" requiring thought/reading the default answer from council is to get certification to cover their ass

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

1.16 General requirements for exempt development
    (1) To be exempt development for the purposes of this Policy, the development:
    (a) must meet the relevant deemed-to-satisfy provisions of the Building Code of Australia, or if there are no such relevant provisions, must be structurally adequate, and
    (b) must not, if it relates to an existing building, cause the building to contravene the Building Code of Australia, and
    (b1) must not be carried out on land that is a declared area of outstanding biodiversity value under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 or declared critical habitat under Part 7A of the Fisheries Management Act 1994, and
    (b2) must not be carried out on land that is, or is part of, a wilderness area (within the meaning of Wilderness Act 1987), and
    (c) must not be carried out on land that is, or on which there is, an item that is listed on the State Heritage Register under the Heritage Act 1977, or that is subject to an interim heritage order under that Act, and
    (d) must not be carried out on land that is described or otherwise identified on a map specified in Schedule 4.
    (1A) Despite subclause (1) (c), if development meets the requirements and standards specified by this Policy and that development:
    (a) has been granted an exemption under section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977, or
    (b) is subject to an exemption under section 57 (1A) or (3) of that Act,
    the development is exempt development under this Policy.
    (1B) If an item listed on the State Heritage Register is not located on, or does not comprise, the whole of the relevant land, subclause (1) (c) applies only to the part of the land that is described and mapped on that register.(1C) If an item not listed on the State Heritage Register but identified as an item of environmental heritage in an environmental planning instrument does not comprise, or is not located on, the whole of the relevant land, any restriction on carrying out development on the relevant land on which the item is located applies only to the part of the land that is described and mapped on that instrument.
    (2) Development that relates to an existing building that is classified under the Building Code of Australia as class 1b or class 2–9 is exempt development for the purposes of this Policy only if:
    (a) the building has a current fire safety certificate or fire safety statement, or
    (b) no fire safety measures are currently implemented, required or proposed for the building.
    (3) To be exempt development for the purposes of this Policy, the development must:
    (a) be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications, if applicable, and
    (b) not involve the removal or pruning of a tree or other vegetation that requires a permit or development consent for removal or pruning, unless that removal or pruning is undertaken in accordance with a permit or development consent.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

It’s costing me $2,100 for. Private certifier to inspect , submit to council and sign off my Pool and deck DA.

I would just do all internal work with the correct trades and engineer and not worry about council.