Do the vendors need to tell you an offer is accepted?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by The Y-man, 3rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hey All,

I have an odd situation where an offer was put in on a property in Melbourne (on a standard REIV contract form) last Saturday. The expiry for the offer was left at the standard 3 clear business days. I would assume the expiry is tonight (Thursday, as Tuesday was a public holiday). We've tried contacting the agent but he hasn't returned our call.

If the offer is accepted, does the agent need to notify us within the 3 days before expiry, or can they come back say (for sake of argument) next week and say "yeah, yeah, the vendors accepted on Thursday, sorry been real busy and didn't get to call you - here's the signed contract" or some such?

The Y-man

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that a contract acceptance needs to be conveyed to the purchaser before it becomes binding (hence the call "congratulatiins you have just bought a house" call that will be done as soon as the signatures are on the paper. It would be interesting to hear the legalities of this.

legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

may depend on the wording of the contract as to what form an 'acceptance' needs to be in -e.g.
    Offer is valid until 5pm Thursday. Seller must notify the buyer in writing prior to that time or the offer is automatically revoked.
    (Ok - above is not proper contract language - used as a rough example).

What does the contract say

Blacky

Perthguy likes this.
  4. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Is it subject to cooling off? Maybe they are dragging it on because the cooling off which is not very smart as you can walk away after 3 days. The property is only sold if both parties have signed and exchanged contracts.

5. The Y-man

Thanks Blacky,

As far as I can see - nothing....

Copy of form at
    http://www.reiv.com.au/library/legal/contract-of-sale.aspx

The Y-man

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

7. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

I'd ring the real estate agency and tell them if you don't receive confirmation of acceptance/refusal in 15 minutes, in writing (email) you will cool off. Ask to speak to the Principal of the firm if necessary. The selling agent might be sick etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Cooling off starts when you sign.

9. Perthguy

Vendor or purchaser? I would have thought that cooling off starts after a contract is formed.

10. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Purchaser has the right to cool off, not the vendor.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Perthguy

I am reading about it now. I thought cooling off was after an offer was accepted. This is not the case. I had no idea you could cool off an offer. I thought you could only cool off a contract.

Cooling off on a property sale
    A cooling-off period of three clear business days applies to private sales of residential and small rural property sales regardless of price.

The cooling-off period gives you time to consider the offer. It begins from the date you sign the contract, not from the date the seller signs it.

To cool off, you must give written notice to the seller or the seller’s agent. You will be entitled to a full refund of money paid, less $100 or 0.2 per cent of the purchase price, whichever is greater.

Buying property by private sale - Consumer Affairs Victoria

So in the case where an offer is not accepted and no contract is formed, you would be withdrawing your offer, which they call cooling-off. This is the part I find confusing:-

To cool off, you must give written notice to the seller or the seller’s agent. You will be entitled to a full refund of money paid, less $100 or 0.2 per cent of the purchase price, whichever is greater.

When I have put in an offer, I have never paid a deposit until the offer is accepted and a contract is formed. So in the case of an offer not being accepted, I don't see how you can "cool off".

Buying property by private sale - Consumer Affairs Victoria

If I was not notified of an offer being accepted, I would cool off for this reason:-

Cooling off can be manipulated
    We regularly receive complaints from clients who have been misled by estate agents who know how to use the cooling off provisions against purchasers. Here is a common example:

Withholding The Contract: The estate agent has the purchaser sign the
    contract on Saturday, and says that the vendor cannot sign until she returns from a weekend trip. The vendor signs the contract on the Monday, but the estate agent holds the contract until the Wednesday before posting a copy to the purchaser’s lawyer. The lawyer remains unaware of the purchase (see previous item). By the time the contract is received by the lawyer the cooling off period has expired;

Cooling Off and cool off in Melbourne Victoria - Lawyers Conveyancing - Conveyancers Melbourne Victoria

Makes me glad to be out of Melbourne.

12. The Y-man

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. We managed to get in touch with the agent today and they confirmed (verbally at least) the vendors accepted a different offer....

The Y-man

Blacky and Perthguy like this.
  13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  14. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Cooling off starts when purchaser signs. Its not a done deal until contracts are exchanged so holding on to the contract and sending it to the purchasers solicitor after 3 business days is not a good idea. The buyer can walk without paying the cool off fee as it would be still considered an offer. Thats why you should only pay deposit on acceptance (exchange of contract).
    Cooling off does not apply if you are an estate agent, a company or signed a similar contract on the same property previously. Also if it is a commercial property or rural property larger than 20 hectares.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. abexx

abexx Member

This may depend on the exact wordings of the contract but the principle is that if an offer is stated as valid for three days and you get no response in three days, the offer expires and there is no way to bring it back. If the other party comes back five days later and says we actually accepted your offer, that becomes a new offer (that you can accept or not) but certainly won't be able to revivive the original offer you made.

Just adding my first bit of input to the forum after learning so much from it lol

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

From my understanding in Victoria (OP is from) it isn't binding until both parties have received the signed contract.

So the agent will typically scan and email or deliver the contract to the purchaser, as the vendor would likely already have the signed agreement.

I cant remember the case but the REIV told me that both parties need to have a signed contract for it to be binding and a phone call saying 'congrats' is not suffice.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In Queensland the purchaser signs the contract, and the vendor then signs. At that stage it is a fully signed contract. But the purchaser has no idea that the vendor has signed until the agent calls and tells them. Therefore, I'm told until the call is made to the purchaser confirming it is signed (and that usually takes the form of "congratulations, you've bought a house"), that it is not binding.

Would be good to hear from RPI seeing he is a solicitor in Queensland. I used to think the agent was just being nice, but I'm told it is a very important call (in Queensland).

18. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @The Y-man

Did you not put an expiry on your offer?

19. The Y-man

Yes - but it is possible for the vendors to accept and sign and the agents not get back to you, so one needs to be sure.

The Y-man

JacM likes this.
  20. The Y-man

This particular case ended up as dodgy as it started.
    We finally got hold of the agent next day after much ringing and leaving messages etc. Someone had mysteriously appeared the day before with an offer $10k more than us which the vendors accepted.

The Y-man