Do Property Development Courses Really Help?

Discussion in 'Development' started by MTR, 30th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Have read a number of posts regarding various courses/workshops on this.

I have not met any successful property developers who went down this road.

I do know at least 2 investors who went on the Bob Anderson Deve Course?? very expensive, these people ended up doing nothing, which makes me wonder is this the way to go?? I don't know??

The successful property developers I know albeit smaller developers are people who just did it slowly and by learning from others and by getting their hands dirty and learning from their mistakes and moving on with experience to bigger projects and repeating what works for them.

Would be interesting to get some feedback on this??

MTR:)

nap33 likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've done Bob's course and i found it useful. I think it was slightyl under 5k for 2 people. I have also networked with a couple of quality people from the course and met many useful consultants who i have engaged with. In fact a builder i am looking at very seriously to do my Brisbane development is building 4 developments for Bob's son. I am sure Bob would have done thorough DD on the builder (of course i am too) but its a good start :). The forum is also a fantastic place to learn and network but its not the only place of value imo. I dont think any course is going to make a person successful per se at anything, its completely up to the individual whether they are successful. But i do think certain courses can have value for individuals. Having said that, i know of people who attended the same course and i'm pretty sure today still havent even bought a site.

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2015
    MTR likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Nothing works unless you do.
    Yes information is required to get you started but the greatest information is experience.

Perthguy, Mitesh Dedhia and Sackie like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, all the above

Unless people act and are prepared to take a risk nothing will happen.

Someone called me a gambler the other day, and said all developers are gamblers.

I don't whether I should be offended? but I am not, it's their perception, but I acknowledge there is always risk just need to know what they are and have an out.

MTR:)

Perthguy, Adele, Rixter and 2 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There are people who think anyone owing the bank 400k from buying 1 property is gambling. There is a reason why pharmaceutical companies are making a killing from medications. ;)

MTR and Xenia like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

People will judge and have an opinion on anything you do. Let them.
    As long as they are not getting in your way they can label and judge as they wish. :D

alexm, MTR and Sackie like this.
  7. ottg

ottg Well-Known Member

It has been said that when 100 people get the information only 10 will read that while only 1 will act on it.
    Critical to surround yourself with like-minded people - that is why this forum is so great!. Not to say that different thinking people can't be your friend; just be selective what you discuss with them as they have a different mindset and only they can change that!

Jess Peletier, MTR and Sackie like this.
  8. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

You should be teaching the course MTR!

MTR likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I don't think so.

MTR

10. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Ohhhhmagahhd

I've just sat through a few hours of the Carly Crutchfield property development course and I am really feeling the lack of a bangs-head-against-wall smiley here.

Thankfully, I got the DVDs second-hand. I'd heard good things about this course.

I feel sorry for the people who paid full-price.

There is more information available free here and on SS. I hear people say this all the time, and used to think they're being supercilious or something, but it's true. The course really does not cover very many details at all, let alone anything that hasn't been discussed here on the forums.

I think development is one of those things where the crucial things are contingencies, what to do when things go wrong, how things can go wrong, etc.

I've wasted a few hours of my life, thankfully not too much money wasted. Highly recommend avoiding this course. Urgh.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@SerenityNow Thanks for the heads up! I have always wondered about her course. Any reason in particular you didnt like it?

Thanks

12. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

It was feel-good. But she didn't provide any new information whatsoever. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, and she didn't cover many things.

Sackie likes this.
  13. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

This forum helps. Enough said.

MTR and mrdobalina like this.
  14. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Suitable for a beginner? Or just a wast of EVERYONES time?

15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have done a couple of courses including Bob Anderson and a self paced learning one.

It works for me because the info learned rattles around in my head and almost tortures me until I apply it, sometimes for years.

16. theperthurbanist

What was the self-paced one @Colin Rice ? Recommended?

17. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It was an eBook a client sent me.

Its excellent and very practical and its free.

Email me and I will send you a copy.

18. theperthurbanist

Thanks Colin, will do. :)

19. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I've not done any of these development courses and don't intend to. I'm learning through actions and backing myself to take on bigger projects in an incremental way. I also network with a number of very large, successful developers who have given me invaluable advice over the years.

Cactus and Perthguy like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Even though development courses may provide some useful information which can be sourced for free.... they will not be able to provide you with the critical information to work out whether a deal is good, bad or average.

They will not be able determine the most important factor/information required which is location of the development and the product to build, market conditions..... this will come down to you doing your own homework.