Do older "redbrick" apartments have better vertical noise insulation compared to modern apartments?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by jaybean, 16th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Modern apartments are notorious for having paper thin walls. But when it comes to vertical sound, are they more or less the same as the older apartments?

I've never lived below anyone before and I keep hearing horror stories from friends, and it scares me into buying a PPOR apartment below someone. But then I realise they all live in brand new modern apartments. Will buying an older one help me at all or is it always going the the same issue (all things being equal, assuming the same neighboring behavior obviously).

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd hazard a guess to say modern highrise apartments will be fine for vertical transmission (the floor plates are pretty solid!!) but horizontal will be an issue (think hotel rooms)

But if you find an old late 60's "brick dunny" type with concrete below you, concrete above you and double brick all round, you should be right! :D

The Y-man

VB King likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Vertical noise in apartments probably has more to do with the type of floor coverings put down. That can be a bit of a lottery.

Joynz likes this.
  4. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

I worked for 3 years out of an 'office' on the 37th floor of the Q1 in Surfers.

I rarely heard the sound of neighbours in any direction, but was constantly amazed at the level of street noise that could be heard.

significance likes this.
  5. significance

significance Well-Known Member

Older apartments are likely to be worse, because they were built before noise standards for buildings. @Depreciator is right that floor coverings have a lot to do with it. If your friends are getting a lot of noise from above, they can ask for a test against noise standards and require the owners upstairs to take corrective action if it is not up to spec (not sure if this varies by state). This often happens if, for instance, owners replace carpet with hard flooring. Hard flooring can be okay with a good acoustic underlay, but floorers (at least here in Townsville) don't do this by default and are surprised when customers ask about noise standards and acoustic underlays.

FWIW, I'm in a 10 yo apartment and have no noise problems from neighbours except occasionally through the windows in I have them open and the people downstairs have a party going.Traffic noise is more of an issue.

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2020
  6. StunningWill

StunningWill Well-Known Member

Vertical noise is hit and miss with new or old. I have been in both. Flooring is most important, and also the person above you. For example, above floor could have a floating floor but the person is a soft walker; you won't hear much ever unless they are jumping up and down or moving heavy objects around which is not very frequent. Second example is person above you has floating floor but a heavy walker. You will hear the thumbing all the time no matter what level of underlay they have. This is the worst example of noise. Third example, person above has carpet but the carpet and underlay is 10 years old. It's warn flat. It's as if they are walking on a think sheet of fabric over the concrete slab. You will hear the thumping if they are a heavy walker. You won't hear the walking if they are a soft walker. In summary, it depends on who is above and what flooring its age. If you have a heavy walker, the best is for them to have carpet and thick underlay that is not older than 5 years etc. How to get peace of mind? Get the top floor.

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

That's the problem...even though I'm quite young, I don't relish the idea of walking up and down 3 flights of stairs many times a day (I'm constantly in and out). The other solution? Buy the top floor in a 2 level apartment, but those are rare as hens teeth. I've been searching all over and they're out numbered by 3 level apartments by at least 5:1 I reckon.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Will save money on going to the gym.

Alternatively, call it a fitness boot camp and get fitness fanatics to carry you up and down the stairs. You can then charge them for the honour.

The Y-man