Do Not Disturb day

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Mombius Hibachi, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yep; my do not disturb day will be scheduled in not long after our PPoR settlement!!

It'll be on a Thurday, and I'll be playing golf. Yep; Thursday.

I've been going without for bloody years, and now that we are about to become debt free completely, and start to accumulate an excess of funds, I'm going for some "me" reward - a membership at "The National Golf Cub" finally....

Bloody overdue delayed gratification, and the wife is 150% behind it. Might restore my sanity.

I'll be closing the workshop for the day (no staff to run it anymore while I'm not there - my only mechanic is a great mechanic, but is also a Dinosaur and virtually a Luddite - can't use a computer and clearly doesn't want to).

Sounds crazy to close the doors midweek? Probably. But I absolutely do not care. The mechanic only works Thurs as overtime hours if there's work anyway, so not much of a cashflow loss in the end mix-up.

Plus; I've found that whenever I used to play golf regularly at my previous local Club (when I had staff who could run the shop, and the cashflow wasn't as disgraceful) all I had to do was show up, say gidday to the various folks around the Club, and I would invariably walk away from the place with some verbal "bookings" for tyres/services etc. Almost guaranteed.

So, that'll be my working "on" the business rather than "in" the business example.

It'll be ironic; we will probably become busier by me not being there, than being there.

Good prob to have, and if we get out to a few weeks in advance for services, then maybe hire another mechanic.

moyjos and SeafordSunshine like this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Jacque likes this.
  3. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Good job Bayview, you deserve it. I understand where you are coming from re extra work from "networking" We have a builder mate who gets more work from a Friday session at the pub than anywhere else. In fact his wife gars a bit narky if he starts having too many Friday arvos at home, when he should be at the pub "working".

Enjoy

4. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

I think "Do Not Disturb" is fantastic!
    I encourage all my employees to take 2 hours each week and do anything but work (they cant take that at the same time). I don't mind if they go for a walk or run their personal errands, but during that time they have to think of one way on how to improve processes and to share their ideas and if they don't come up with anything its still fine. Basically you don't need to be tied down to a chair to come up with great ideas. For myself, best ideas come when i'm in the shower or doing anything but work.

So I thought I would trial it with my employees.....
    The feedback over the last 13 months has been extremely positive. Everyone's morale seems to be improved. Most of those hours don't come up with anything great, however out of few brilliant ideas that have been created, they saved a lot of money which more than covers the cost of those "lost" hours. The processes have been improved which created more efficiency, which means everyone clocks off on time. Nobody stays behind or after hours (unless they want to). I understand this might not work for everyone, but it does have potential to work.