Do I need home builders insurance?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kat2023, 24th Aug, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kat2023

Kat2023 New Member

Little backstory, we renovated our house progressively.
    Did ensuite one month because we didn’t want a bathroom out of action.
    Then did next bathroom a month later.
    Then did the laundry when we had the money a bit after that.
    Each room cost less than $20k from the builder, I purchased the PC items myself and plumber installed the plumbing items, cabinetry was hung by the builder, tiles laid by the tiler but I paid for the actual supplies separately. We painted the room ourselves.
    We are now planning to sell, and I’m being asked if we have a home builders insurance certificate which we don’t have (we have it for the larger structural work we did). I’m trying to find out if it was needed since each “contract/project” was less than $20k with the builder, but after the pc items i purchased it’s a little more, maybe $2k extra and together it adds up to about $50k but again, it was all done at seperate times so am confused on this part.
    For example, we also removed walls 2 years ago (which we do have warranty insurance for) then put in a new kitchen (direct with cabinet maker), then did a powder room (less than $10k), put in a deck ($5k) etc but again, all done progressively over 2 years so no warranty certificates for these despite collectively costing well over $20k.
    The bathrooms and laundry specifically are what I’m being asked about, they were all completed seperate times and paid separately but done by the same builder.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think the answer is simple. You don't have a certificate.

Whether you should have engaged a builder (sounds like you should have, certainly in order to have something on paper) is another story. Over the years, we've done plenty of jobs before we even knew about this rule. What we did may have been prior to the rule being a "thing". But we've never been asked for any certificates when selling either.

3. Kat2023

Kat2023 New Member

Sorry I should have been clearer, the bathrooms and laundry were done by a qualified builder as were the wall removals. The kitchen by a qualified cabinetmaker. The only think we supervised ourselves the powder room as this was just a tiler and plumber required, under the $10k limit and we have the waterproofing cert for this too. The only DIY in the house was painting and the landscaping, as well as the deck which wasn’t really DIY was it was pre fab steel with pavers on top using tile clips, so not a true DIY and less than the $5k DIY limit.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Why is your agent asking for this? It seems a bit odd to me.