Do I need a building insurance even before property goes unconditional?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Samj, 24th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

My bank lender asked me to take a building insurance just after signing the contract. It's just a friendly reminder. He said in 2011 flood time there was a case that a house got flooded, just after signing a contract. Then seller insisted the buyer to get it as is and eventually buyer had to pay for flood repairs. He says it's a law in QLD only.

That's bit unbelievable to me. Can someone please tell me when should I need to get the building insurance (after signing the contract or after going unconditional)? Thanks.

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2021
  2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Seems ridiculous, I wouldn't settle if the property wasn't in the same condition as I signed the contract.

3. PinkPanther

PinkPanther Well-Known Member

You can take insurance after the contract goes unconditional. Your lender is probably just letting you know that you need to get one ... usually banks like to see the insurance document before settlement.

Archaon likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Not a conveyancer, Im reasonably sure the risk passes to the buyer at uncon

ta
    rolf

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My belief is that it's different in different States, HOWEVER, I've always just paid for insurance as soon as unconditional.

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

In Qld the buyer is responsible the day after the contract is signed by both parties (just signed, not unconditional). So yes your bank is correct. I have always taken out insurance the day the contact is signed.

ad1t, craigc, MJS1034 and 5 others like this.
  7. Firefly99

See attached

Attached Files:

PinkPanther and wylie like this.
  8. PinkPanther

PinkPanther Well-Known Member

Huh ok. I stand corrected then. We just bought a property in Brisbane North and we were asked about the insurance only after the contract went unconditional.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  9. Firefly99

To be fair it’s a bit odd. And if the contract was subject to building and pest inspection surely you could pull out of it if, for example, the house burnt to the ground or something. The B&P report wouldn’t exactly be complimentary ;)

But you can cancel the insurance and get a refund if you don’t go through with the contract so I don’t see any point taking a gamble.

craigc, PinkPanther and wylie like this.
  10. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Interesting story in Sydney a few years back of a house at Kurnell having a tornado ripping it apart while the property was unconditional (the day after it was auctioned), prior to settlement.

A tornado!

Insurance is a must just in case...

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've argued this here on the forum a few times, but never gone looking for anything in writing to prove it.

Thanks for posting the link showing this to be the case and expectation in Queensland.

skater and Firefly99 like this.
  12. Archaon

That's a joke, surely?

So why bother going through settlement if all the liability is already on you as the purchaser?

13. wylie

What do you mean by that?

You go through settlement to own the property. In Queensland you insure it from 5pm the next day so you're paying insurance for a month longer than required in some other states I guess.

In the old days, we would get a cover note, but most insurers don't do that these days. Probably got wise to people trying to get a free month of insurance.

14. Archaon

If you don't own something, why are you responsible for damage to it?
    Can you go in and start renovating upon signing?

15. wylie

That is just what is expected in Queensland. I don't know what would happen if you chose not to insure it, but every purchase we've made, we've been prompted by the lawyer as soon as the contract goes to him, to ensure it is insured by 5pm that day.

And the broker wants proof as well, long before settlement.

And you can go into the house to renovate if you get approval, just as you can in any other state I'd guess. We've done this before with a signed authority from the vendor.

craigc likes this.
  16. Hills123

Hills123 Well-Known Member

I found out as well on the day I signed contract that in QLD you need to insure (even if it’s not unconditional)

I just setup a months insurance incase the contract fell through (approx $100) - can cancel and only out of pocket by $100 worst case if I didn’t go ahead with the purchase - but I think $100 is worth the peace of mind!!

wylie likes this.
  17. Firefly99

Why would I post a joke like that? It’s not very funny ;)

18. Nathan J

Nathan J Well-Known Member

I was just provided the same advice by our solicitor for house we signed contract on. So I took out a monthly policy - no huge deal.

But it does seem odd. As Firefly said, couldn't you just rely on the B and P inspection to null and void the contract? Maybe there is something in the fine print that stipulates a B and P inspection can't be relied on in that type of circumstance.

Samj likes this.
  19. wylie

Building and pest clause expires several weeks prior to settlement.

craigc likes this.
  20. Nathan J

Nathan J Well-Known Member

Yes, but we are talking about the requirement to take Insurance immediately upon signing contract - whilst the B and P clause is in effect.