Do I need a builder for a Reno in nsw

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Joe Davola, 6th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joe Davola

Joe Davola Member

Ok so I'm renovating the bathroom in nsw

1. Do I need to engage the services of a builder? My understanding is that if there's more than 1 Tradie involved and the job will cost over $5,000 then I need to hire a builder to project manage. Is this right.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No not right. You can Owner Build but need an OB license and Insurance if over $10K (I think??). Becoming an owner-builder

Joe Davola likes this.
  3. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Is it a house or unit?

If it’s your house you can manage the trades yourself or get a bathroom renovation company in, just depends on your free time, Organisation skills and knowledge.

Joe Davola likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Have had heaps of work done at home.
    Am not a builder !
    So long as you verify the insurance of each contractor engaged to do work then no problem.
    As per @Something_Wrong you can engage any number of people to organize the works, or self manage/schedule (normally takes longer to complete).
    You shouldn't require an OB permit or council approvals to renovate existing, but may if there is structural or major changes (note: only when employing qualified trades persons, aka plumber, wetseal or electrician).
    You shouldn't DIY everything and hope for the best :oops:

Joe Davola likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Nope. Not required.
    Its a bathroom.

For brick veneer home (no asbestos)
    1. Remove wall tiles (tiler can usually do)
    2. Replace villaboard sheets if in bad condition (personally I would just put a new sheet on) - Any person that puts on plasterboard can do this for you.
    3. Get a plumber in to change the pipes (best to do it now to prevent future leaks)
    4. Remove floor tiles (tiler can usually do)
    4b. Jack hammer to remove concrete on floor if you want the finish floor level to not be so high or if the floor is badly damaged.
    4c. Self levelling concrete to give floor a good finish
    5. Waterproofer (tiler can usually do this)
    6. Have plumber install the tub (if you have one)
    7. Build a wall around tub (if its not free standing) (tiler or plumber)
    8. Tiler to screed
    9. Waterproofing on top of screed
    10. Tiler to lay tiles.

For a brick veneer home (with asbestos), there usually isn't any tiles, so get on hi pages and get someone to remove the asbestos sheeting properly.

For a brick home (where internal walls are brick), there isn't any villboard to remove, but there will be concrete render to remove, again the tiler can usually do this (or has someone who can).

In most cases, a decent tiler will be able to complete the entire bathroom reno for you - they will act as Project manager and manage their trades. You just pay the money.