Do Couples & Families Make Better Long Term Tenants?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by eng, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eng

eng Well-Known Member

My ideal tenants are mature couples (30's+), married or families with children. I think these groups are generally more emotionally stable, long term renters, and more reliable when it comes to looking after your IP and paying rent. We've been buying properties with these people in mind.

We've just listed our IP for rent and a couple (mid 20's maybe) that is cohabiting is applying to rent. They also have two large grey hounds - I'm not keen on pets either.

We have landlord and building, but as someone posted somewhere else, I'd rather not deal with pet damages or the wrong tenants.

Should we wait it out and stick with our goals or give them a try?

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2016
    Shazi likes this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

They are the majority of tenants and most marketing is written to attract couples and families, but there are other demographics which are good too:

Gay couples, single people, mixed families, it all comes down to the individual applicant.

3. eng

eng Well-Known Member

@Xenia do you have a selection criteria to weed out the good from the bad? Or is this more gut feel?

Xenia likes this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi
    hi Eng
    We certainly do have a strict selection criteria.
    Tenancy databases, reference checks etc...

A huge emphasis is put on having an established track record of paying rent on time.
    Also affordability checks etc.

But I do not have a preference for a family vs a single person (depending on the house) as both can be good or bad in each category.

733 and eng like this.
  5. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Here is the deal with pets. If they have pets and you accept them, then you have to be prepared that they will keep them inside and assume the worst could happen.

If you cannot accept that, then you need a no pets policy.

In most situations, you would be comparing the applicants with each other to work who is the best choice. We don't have enough information regarding any other potential tenants to give you any advice if you should take this applicant or another.

Sometimes you may have a decent tenant and you have to either take them or wait and hope to get someone better and weight up if it is worth waiting.

eng likes this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @eng

Perhaps ask for pet references. They are becoming more common these days.

The other thing you could consider is "why" people might bring a pet inside. A small fluffy dog is almost certainly going to be inside, because it is little and unlikely to make things dirty. But two greyhounds? I'm not seeing it. I'd be contemplating making a covered area outside with laserlite or other product to provide a weather proof zone for pets. Problem solved for most cases I'd think.

eng likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Eng
    If an application includes a pet then usually that pet is referenced against the last tenancy they had.

Dog registrations can be referenced and For a a cat we usually go by breed and colour and talk to the last property manager on what they thought about that pet and whether there has been any damage

733, JacM and eng like this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Kids can do more damage than pets!

Adele, Magnet, Excalibur1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I allow pets in my older IP's. Mostly "prefer" to hold out for petless tenants for new build IP's. But same, families work best for me. With school aged kids. Recently had a group of six friends (2 couples, 2 singles) in their early 20's apply for a 4 bed house. All working, rent checks ok, no pets, but it was a brand new house and I didn't want 6 tenants cars plus friends parked all over the yard and up the street. So I waited another couple of weeks for a family with no pets. Am I wrong for being a fussy landlord? No, I consider it my right to protect my investment. Tenants have many rights these days, which is fine, but being able to choose who lives in an asset is a right I cherish.

wylie, eng and Mr Dabolina like this.
  10. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

@eng I have 2 x properties where the tenants have pets.They have been there for a long time and you will find that people with pets are less likely to move out. If your property is new, then I would have second thoughts about allowing pets. One option is to add a section in the rental agreement where pets are permitted but only outside and ensure your PM does a thorough check during the inspections.

eng and Shazi like this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I find single people who have steady work (professional people are excellent), who like the quiet life are the best tenants.

Families with kids, I find, do more damage and more wear n tear. Also they have domestics and the kids do end up having pets...."ooh it's just a little bunny rabbit, lets let him hop through the house, ooh toilet time"

Datto: "Hi kids, enjoyed school? I'm just here to paint the door. I've cooked dinner. Do you like rabbit stew? lol"

eng likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Without getting stuck on the pets, I really do not think it is so easy to determine, I had a family recently, with the kids and parents and each room etc full, more wear and tear, water use through the roof and they took of at end of lease.

Don't like the sound of greyhounds unless yard is suitable.

eng likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Greyhounds are a beautiful breed of dog. No, I don't kick puppies ;)

EN710, WattleIdo, eng and 1 other person like this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well it is not the kids fault.....the parents are the ones that deserve the pot !

It is great when you have a lease with 1 outside dog, then on inspection the dog is eating off teh floor inside, the cat runs in front of you and at least jumps into the kitty litter tray...followed by a trail of kittens.....tenant....oh my daughters cat decided to have kittens ! lol

PS I don't think the outside thing makes any difference.

PS PS whatever pets do in the house, children of some parents can out do anyway, at least pets don't damage/dirty windows and frames, cielings, walls with thousands of thumb tack holes, built ins etc etc etc

eng likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Someone's got to teach the kids. They have to learn limits.

Imagine when they grow up thinking they can do or say as they like. They could end up like, well like me lol.

eng likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Would rather a single with pets any day. Families = wear and tear and unwanted renovations

eng and JacM like this.
  17. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Very true. It is astounding how you can observe scribble on all walls and cupboards of a home, and texta marks on the carpets also. Discipline issue or otherwise, fixing it up isn't going to be covered by the bond.

eng likes this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Eng
    how did you go with this? Have you received any better applications or do you think you will be giving this one a go?

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Are you self managing?

20. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

eng likes this.