DNA testing

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 16th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I assume you're referring to the Jewish ethnicity.

Jews were a middle eastern race of people who followed one particular religion. They tended not to marry outside of their race. When they dispersed from their homeland they still kept their religion strongly.

The Christian religion came out of the Jewish people. Initially they preached only to their fellow Jews, but decided early on to branch out. This was a part of the story of the New Testament.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

With Mormons being the next iteration, after Joseph Smith found a book that conclusively proved that Jesus went to America.

3. spludgey

Gene responsible for gullibility?

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Come on now. No need for that.

Its just as reasonable to believe the scientific view as the religious view for our origin.

Yes we may be the product of a big bang resulting in equal parts matter and dark matter tracing back to a combined nothingness but now ever expanding and through the gravitational pull of mass formed planets and through abiogenesis non living matter formed chains of amino acids that gave rise to the first chemicals that absorbed other chemicals in order to survive, thus starting the evolutionary process that over billions of years resulted in human kind.

Or the religious perspective that god just you know... made it. And then decided the guy he made should get laid #ultimatewingman so god took out adams rib and made a woman out of it. Because thats just how women are made.

Who is to say which explanation is the more accurate? You need to keep an open mind.

5. spludgey

Alright, that was a little bit cheeky.

No, absolutely not! Science uses reason, religion uses faith, which is the opposite of reason, it's "knowing" without evidence.
    Only one of these two views claims to definitively know how our universe and life came into existence and it's not science making those claims.

Further science by definition knows that it's wrong, it simply sees itself as the best approximation of truth at the time, if there is evidence to the contrary, science has to change. Religion does not change even if its claims have been disproved.

So only one of these uses reason, therefore only one of them is reasonable.

Is it possible that science is completely wrong and that what's written in the bible is true (even though the bible contradicts itself in parts? Certainly, however I see the likelihood of this being so remote that it can be dismissed out of hand.

Then there's also the argument of Occam's razor. When it comes to the beginning of everything, science gives the response that we don't know, religion tries to explain something so extremely complicated as the universe with something even more complicated. A god that's always been and doesn't have a beginning? Yes, that's much more reasonable than a big bang.

I'll always go with the evidence and not put my fingers in my ears and say "not listening" when something contrary to my believes is shown.
    Saying that we don't conclusively know, so one is equally likely as the other is ridiculous. Do you absolutely positively know whether jumping off a skyscraper is going to kill or even hurt you? No, but experience (or evidence) has shown you that it's extremely likely, so you'd be ill advised to keep an open mind of whether it's a good idea to take a shortcut from the top because you're running late for your train.

LifesGood, Joynz and Terry_w like this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol yes science good not science bad. agreed

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol an ancestry ad is popping up for me on this page now.

8. geoffw

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My parents just had theirs done and found some similar results. My Dad was born in India to his Dad who was also born in India under British Army. It was long suspected that family members had been Anglo Indians. Dad was almost 20% Asian, 25% Scandinavian, 25% British and the rest was smattering of other european.

It was very interesting.

My mother who had considered herself quite Scottish and coming from a long line of Scots in her family tree turned out to be 40%+ irish heritage. The test didn't distinguish much for the UK - you were either Irish or British but she was more Irish than British :p

geoffw likes this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

It explains my mother's colouring, olive skin, dark brown eyes, black hair - you are lucky your father had such close connections to the British Army, records early 1800's just about non existent, all I know is my gggrandfather was born c1840 to Major Hugh Limond when he and his wife were in NSW, lots of Limonds in India British Army, no marriage records etc. - frustrating...

11. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

My sister in the U.K. just had hers done it came back as

D.N.A results. 100% European. Europe West 41% Ireland 31% Great Britian 15% Scandinavia 8% Finland 2% Italy/ Greece 2% Iberian peninsula 1 %.

Both our parents were from Great Britain as were their parents

My cousin on my Mother's side, who was born and has lived all her life in the USA had hers done it came back as 100% Great Britain Very odd as her father was American!!!

I have doubts as to how truthful these results are

Perthguy likes this.
  12. geoffw

That's very possible. It refers to ethnicity- her father was born in the USA, but his ancestors all originally came from Europe. In the same way as I, as an Australian for 3+ generations have European origins.

13. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Geoff. Her grandmother and my mother were sisters. I would have thought she would have had some of the other European ethnicity that my sister has?

14. geoffw

100% Great Britain is in itself very odd. I would have thought that most people from GB also had bits and pieces from other parts of Europe as well. My bit of Scandinavian probably came from the Vikings.

Siblings though can have different results. It's not so much their origins, it's more what bits of DNA have been passed down.
    Understanding Genetics

Even so, that would not explain 100% GB from one sibling. I'd be questioning the results on that one. If they both went through the same company, the second test should have shown the first sibling as a relative.

Cimbom and Chrispy like this.
  15. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

My husband (who is a much bigger science nerd than me) said these tests are generally not reliable as the genetic groupings or categories they use are very vague. Apparently there's lots of politics around the results so the vagueness means that people are able to find it fun and interesting without getting offended with unexpected or disliked ancestries popping up in their results. I'd still like to do one though :p

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup my Dad think his Scandi part of the DNA is from the Vikings too. No know relatives anywhere near Scandinavia but we think a lot of the Welsh line would be quite Viking based. Viking Answer Lady Webpage - Norse Raids and Settlement in Wales

Chrispy likes this.
  17. geoffw

I was disappointed that I didn't have unexpected (non European) ancestry. However it seems that I have a bit more of a mixture than some others I've since seen- especially the Jewish bit.

I'm surprised that the genetic groupings are vague. All they have to do really is to find a reasonably sized group of people with a pure origin from a particular area, without any mixed blood from other parts, and find a set of markers from people with other unmixed origins. That shouldn't be too hard, surely.

18. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I wanted to find out if I was part Asian as my ggrandfather was born in Amoy [now Xiamen] China 1840, test results confirmed I had 1% east China DNA so now I know :D

geoffw likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That does seem odd - but - maybe there is a closet skeleton ... we're finding quite a few of those in hubby's family only going back 2 generations (his grandmother had an illegitimate child that was bought up as her husbands)

Chrispy likes this.
  20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is no such thing as a 'pure' ethnic group. different groups have been mixing forever. But what they may be able to tell is that people in a particular area at a particular time had certain characteristics in their DNA and You also have similar characteristics in your DNA so you have ancestors from this region.

I dunno, but it is interesting.