Health & Family DNA testing and Family History

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 27th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Looking into your family history can be better than reading a best seller mystery book - I have been doing this for 20 years and have been delighted, surprised and dismayed at what I have found :eek:
    When DNA testing became available through Ancestry I sent a sample of my saliva and waited for the results. I knew my gggrandfather was born in China but was never sure if he was Chinese as a his English was good enough to act as a translator for the courts. Results came back and I am 10% Asian, the rest being English & Irish.

Propin, Terry_w and MTR like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Love this stuff

Side issue...... you may enjoy this.....I am also addicted to this show, DNA used to locate family

www.dailymotion.com/video/x5yamgk

3. balwoges

Thanks for the link, I watch 'Who do you think you are' - Dawn Fraser discovered her Chilean ancestry when researching her family for the program :D

4. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

My folks have been into this recently and discovered that many of our relatives owned and ran the guillotine business in France during the revolution. Apparently they were quite well respected!

As far as we knew , all our ancestors were English, Scottish and Irish but on my paternal side their is a large Scandinavian percentage and of course this must most likely be from the Norman conquest of 1066 I expect. It can be very interesting.

balwoges likes this.
  5. balwoges

My 10% Asian broken up was 1% Chinese 9% Central Asia which took in a large chunk of China to Syria. This area encompassed the Silk Road, what a tale my ancestors could have told :)

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Maybe you are related to Scheherazade?

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

When you are a wog from a small country you know who you are related to without DNA testing.
    Everyone in that country :p

balwoges likes this.
  8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

FTFY

Xenia likes this.
  9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Giving your DNA to someone to sequence (and the rights to do what they want with it) seems insane but maybe that's just me.

10. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Your DNA is not that hard to come by anyway. You are leaving it everywhere. Like seriously.... everywhere

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was just contacted today by a second cousin through ancestry.com I worked with him 40 years ago and hadn't heard since. A nice surprise

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I already feel ashamed for passing on my DNA! The last thing I need to know is where my DNA came from !! :) :) :)

13. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Definitely not something I would do.. How do you know you can 'trust' the person you're giving it to?

This is true.. Locard's Exchange Principal. But realistically, who's going to collect it? You should only be worried if someone is picking up items after you, delicately, and with rubber gloves. Willingly sending off your DNA to someone you don't know, with all your other information attached.. no thanks.