DJI Phantom 3 Standard RTF Quadcopter/ drones

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 1st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Had to really stop myself clicking the buy button but really keen on buying the DJI Phantom 3 drone. Link below.

DJI Phantom 3 Standard RTF Quadcopter

Anyone know much about them or any other brands? I have looked at some reviews and the quality of the footage, and pretty impressed.

Cheers

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We have one. It was great for mapping how our driveway would work on our PPOR block etc

Don't ask me which model it is, but it is a Phantom

jins13 likes this.
  3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I've been tempted but haven't pulled the pin yet. I would only get the advanced though - the std only has short-range control, while the others have much much longer control range with DJIs proprietary (I think) method. 2.7K is more than enough for me, dont need 4K, but the range thing is a necessity.
    With the release of the DJI 4, Im hoping some good deals come up on ebay/gumtree.

Must

Not

Give

In

jins13 likes this.
  4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Trying my best not to but I know I am going to have a holiday in July in NZ, so want to get some practice runs prior to the trip!

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Don't forget if you buy it and take it with you, you can claim the GST back on it if purchased within 90 (or was it 60?) days of your trip

jins13 and mcarthur like this.
  6. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Just picked up the 3DR Solo and a GoPro.

Was deciding between this and the DJI Phantom 4 and decided that I would like to be able to unhook the GoPro camera and use it elsewhere, unlike the phantom 4 the camera is fixed to the copter.

P4 has a longer range but the Solo has 800m and thats plenty as far as Im concerned.

Either one is a great tool (or toy) but it comes down to personal preferences as to the camera portability, range etc.

One thing a bit different with the 3DR Solo is the software is open so any clever updates are easily downloaded and your copter is upgraded, whereas the Phantom, well, that may just get superceded.

jins13 and mcarthur like this.
  7. mcarthur

Watch out in NZ - there's rules for drone flying you need to watch out for (just like Australia of course): not flying over *anyones* private land without written permission, some council open places don't allow it either or have specific rules, etc. There's some good information online about restrictions. It's not like taking a radio-controlled car around with you...

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Did you see the guys catch a tune using a drone?
    Cool footage.

Blacky

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

For me I want to use it more for nature strips and not on residential areas.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Bought it on ebay on Sunday for a grand total of $749. Going to have abit of fun with it but the batteries (spare) are abit dear

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A friend of ours is fairly involved in drone racing and/or the implementation of this sport.

He was telling us last week about the rules and regulations and flight paths etc. It is quite controlled and things could go badly wrong, and you'd need to be careful where you fly these things.

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true and you have to be registered online as well.

Would like to do get into racing, but it's going to be a money pit with constant replacement parts and buying carbon fibre items.

13. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a DJI Phantom 3 pro for a good price, it had been rarely used as the guy upgraded to the phantom 4. They're lots of fun, but at the same time its quite scary seeing something so expensive fly over water etc. It takes a while to get comfortable, i'm still not there yet.

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Or over a cliff? I am worried that I may have a moment like "True Lies" when the person doing the filming had the low battery in the camcorder when his boss was going on with his speech. From watching Youtube, I quite like the home function of being able to bring it back to 'base'.

For me I think it's a good entry model for me to get into drones and who knows maybe if I become great, may upgrade like your fellow. Is the camera's 2.7 megapixel enough?

15. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

I did a cliff on my 2nd attempt, that freaked me out !

I always come home with around 25% battery left just in case. I also fly back manually because i'm not confident with fly to home other than in wide open spaces, i've seen too many youtube videos where fly to home goes wrong...

I've got the 4k camera which is decent, however i'm from a photography background so i'm probably more picky than most. Low light conditions are extremely poor because of the small sensor, i'd recommend just after sunrise/before sunset so the light isn't too harsh.

jins13 likes this.
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Getting pretty excited for the delivery. It's a shame that I can't use it for night operations.

mcarthur likes this.
  17. mcarthur

How about putting a nice big searchlight instead of the camera :D.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF