DIY interior house painting

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Otie, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ditto. Never again.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  2. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Bought a really expensive blue painters tape recommend at the hardware store and it happened.

3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

How long did you leave the tape on for?

Tip, don't leave it on glass for too long (baked by the sun).. turps/metho doesn't work.. but petrol gets the residue off pretty well.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Haha. Doing home inspections, I can always spot the pro jobs because you can still see the plaster through the one thin layer of paint they smeared on the wall ;)

But yeah, I have seen some shoddy DIY jobs too. It's just a different type of shoddy.

5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Great to hear you're going to give it a go! Painting is relatively easy. It's the prep that's the hardest and most annoying.

If you've got a chalky surface or chips in the plaster/board, you have a bit of extra prep to do. This is where Paint shops are really helpful, there are different products out there for different surface prep and they'll help choose the right ones.

I see you've got some builders white? You might want to consider getting it tinted for the walls. It's a very stark white, and your walls, cornice and ceilings will all blend in together. You can always tint after you get your first coat on if you don't like the look.

It's easy to miss bits when you have crappy lighting. When you start painting make sure you have plenty of good lighting. If you need to paint at night I'd suggest getting some portable floodlights.

Enjoy! :)

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. Also be aware the builders white is not terribly "wash and wear". I just cleaned out the built in robes at my parents house and the walls are builders white. They did not clean up well at all.

Phase2 likes this.
  7. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Currently helping my son prep and paint his PPOR which is highlighting how much time you need to put into making sure your surface preparation is 100% otherwise the finished result with disappoint.
    Agree with others that a good quality undercoat before 2 top coats will help hide imperfections as well.
    Masters special at the moment..

Masters Paint.PNG

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Super.
    Thanks for the tip.

9. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

3 days. Painted it on a few days off and then had a busy few days at work. Should have taken it off the next day. It's didn't appear to be a particularly sticky tape but I learnt the hard way!