DIY deck

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by zoe enn, 12th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. zoe enn

zoe enn New Member

Hi guys,

New here and first post so I apologise if there is one similar. Also new to DIY so once again - apologies if I am asking dumb questions!

I want to build a 4x4m deck that is not attached to anything, raised off the ground.

Question is, from experience does anyone know if it is cheaper to build it yourself or have someone else build it? Time and effort does not factor in as I have plenty of both, I just want to know money wise what the way to go is. Thank you in advance for advice.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Depends on your skills - if you have none, you'll need to allow for errors which can end up being quite expensive. And tools, if you don't already own them.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

And you will need a thorough understanding of building codes and council regulations.
    Marg

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hi Zoe and welcome.
    Am sure @Scott No Mates will chime in shortly to add to @Jess Peletier advice ;)
    A deck, one would assume timber as you said off the ground, (but isnt always the case), flat ground pr sloping, more than a meter high and you will need handrails, do you know how far apart you need bearers V's joists ?
    And many more questions....
    Its a small project and shouldnt cost a great deal extra if you cut the odd timber too short :rolleyes:
    Just dont do what my mate did, he managed to catch his overall's sleeve in the circular saw :eek: and did a good job of partially seperating his thumb from his hand:confused: no workcover no income/personal insurance and 6 months off work to recover, it made for an expensive deck :(

zoe enn likes this.