Divest or Deleverage? What to do with pre-APRA assets when the I/O expires

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by 6000, 25th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What would you do with these pre-APRA assets?

1. Divest

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Deleverage

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. 6000

6000 Active Member

Some great discussion on the forums since the APRA reforms (e.g. @Eric Wu ("What happens when the Interest Only period expires on your investment property loan?" and @euro73 posts in "Help - how to borrow more?"

I'd like to share a worked example from my own portfolio to get people's thoughts

[​IMG]

Presently
    • Assets acquired with the pre-APRA mindset of "never sell, maximise LVRs for the NG deduction, let inflation erode debt, hold real estate forever" where CF assets and Equity Releases were "easy"
    • 99%+ rental occupancy in the time I've owned them - Walkscores of 96 and 97 respectively, never a shortage of tenants
    • Reasonable net cash yields (4.1% to 4.5% which, at current rates, I/O and with non-cash deductions yields a small cash surplus (ca. $5k a year)
    • Servcing maxxed out - wouldn't requalify with the Big 4 to refinance these
    In 18 - 24 months when the I/O terms expire (and revert to 20 - 25 Year P&I)
    • Circa 60% increase in repayments and a +$5000 CF+ position turns into a -$8000 CF neg position - excluding any increases in interest rates
    • Requires a further $170~$180k in cash to deleverage these assets into a CF neutral positon
    What would you do? "Divest" - sell them now or "Deleverage" - start putting aside capital to pay these down?

Attached Files:

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The 70's low rise figure is very similar to our Prahran 1/1/1.

I'm looking at trying to offload it when prices show a bit of movement (praying for a bit of a blip up in prices in the new FY!!) Have seen some encouraging signs lately .....

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Holy - what happened to that Adelaide thing?

The Y-man

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

For me, there is so much missing information that I can not give you an educated response.

Also, I always like to see the option of "Do Nothing" in any voting situation like this. I am not staying I would select that one.

Finally, I would love my property portfolio to be negatively geared to $8,000 pa. Mine is a lot more than that, my loans are all IO and I am retired.

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Try to extend now for 5-10 years rather than wait?

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Good question.

But
    do you have a non deductible main residence loan?

Will the switch to pi cause you financial hardship?

If no to both then reverting to pi may be a good thing.

And Dave's suggestion is worth considering