Distractions that stop people from progressing....

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Property Twins, 10th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho It always comes back to mindset. We have so many limiting beliefs about ourselves, our ability and what we can truely achieve. Couple that with the endless distractions around us and toxic negative/pessimistic people ( btw this one is an absolute KILLER and needs to be avoided at all costs), its essential to constantly work on your mindset. Working on your mindset means learning how to reframe negative thoughts, break free from the fear loop that we all fall into from time to time and ultimately learn how to understand your emotions and what serves you and what hinders you from progress. Emotions influence our every thought which influences our body's physiology which impacts how we feel which then impacts every single decision we make.

Easier said than done i agree but its why most ppl fall far short of their true potential and what they can achieve in life.

Last edited: 12th May, 2019
    MWI, KateSydney, samiam and 2 others like this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just because people don’t “progress” (in whose opinion?) with property investment does not necessarily mean they are “distracted”.

Unless, of course, that is their only aim in life.
    Marg

Lindsay_W, paulF, samiam and 2 others like this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

More so for those who want to, have the resources to, but still don't do anything about it.

As posted above, it could be a mindset issue.

I didn't mean to say everyone should :rolleyes:

4. Marg4000

Those who actually want to, will.
    Those who endlessly procrastinate are probably ambivalent.
    Marg

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Lack of confidence or sometimes even fear. It’s human and it’s pretty normal.

It’s no different to spending ages talking about anything we might like to do in life that is potentially risky (emotionally, financially etc).

I often have to remind myself that the ‘go hard or go home’ posters on this site are likely just keyboard warriors!).

Though, there does seem to be a bit less of that now than there was 3 years ago!

Property Twins and Marg4000 like this.
  6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Open ended question as everyone's circumstances are different.

What's stopping me from progressing with property investments is the realization that generally speaking , reaping the rewards of property investments is a long term thing. I was simply lucky to be at the right time/place for my current two holdings to have gone up so quick in value (bought in Sydney 2012 and Melbourne 2014). A bit of hard work and a bit of luck and things are looking pretty good for the future.

Nothing wrong with long term gains but being youngish(mid 30s) with a good amount in super already, i think i have put some good foundations for a stable future and now i can afford to enjoy the present without worrying too much about the future.
    No plans of being super rich , just comfortable and being able to help my family is good enough for me.

I think other investments that don't require much financial commitments are more suited to my situation moving forward.

Property Twins and Marg4000 like this.
  7. Property Twins

Agreed.

Just wanting to dig deep on 'why' some just procrastinate... it would be something in their belief system.

I am sure everyone has varying challenges - in different areas of life. Some things come easy, others not so much. ****** in beliefs.

8. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Not a case of procrastination or mindset. Fertility costs financial and emotional slowed us down. I didn’t have IVF but multiple miscarriages. There are high costs involved with investigations, fertility drugs, doctors etc even without the actual ivf (I was told I was not a candidate for ivf). When you go for a loan with that stuff in your statements, expect questions about it. We would probably have another couple of houses or a pile of shares without having gone through it. The extra mental load of going through it with it seeming endless stops progress in many aspects of your life and can change plans in an instant including holidays and all kinds of activities and purchases...plus you’re usually trying to keep your job through it all.

Stoffo and Property Twins like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

10. Property Twins

Hi Kassy, sorry to hear about the challenges you faced. Its not procrastination at all. Just that you had a different focus / priorities to get through in the first instance.

Kassy likes this.
  11. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Are you referring to potential clients that you haven't been able to convert to loans, or is it a question in regards to people in general? The reasons for each of those groups would be very different.

Lindsay_W and Joynz like this.
  12. Property Twins

Where is loan mentioned in the thread?

I think you are reading too much into it

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Agree totally @Kassy
    Though each day is a new opportunity to try again in life :)
    Your mindset and determination should be enough to carry you thru ;)

Over the past 18 months we have juggled mid 5 figures around so that the amounts paid in legals for child custody fight don't show........

Life isn't easy, sharing problems is harder, listening to advice (let alone following it) is all but impossible :(

Those that persist against the odds have a far better rate of success :D

Property Twins likes this.
  14. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@Stoffo, we were determined and lucky and I gave birth to our little boy in the end :D It is hard to juggle money around for sure, we have much better cashflow now that we aren’t trying for another baby. Sorry you have had to juggle so much cash around for your beautiful little girl. Persistence definitely leads to success! I wish you the best!

paulF, Marg4000, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I wonder what the point of the thread is if not to distract from other important things or take away from things that need doing ?

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, that is about it once you take away the real barriers of money.

A better way to look at things is ask what drives you to do something, because if it is need, you will get on with it, if you do not really need it, or just enjoy it, then you will prob do something else that may be more important at the time.

I am wondering why the thread, you can buy books or read known things on behavior.

Is there a bunch of people not taking up loan offers who qualify ?

Lindsay_W and Marg4000 like this.
  17. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Lack of a plan and end goal.

Without a goal in mind, you'll end up just going in circles, no matter how hard you work.

Jess Peletier and Property Twins like this.
  18. Marg4000

Disagree.

Today all the talk is of “strategy”, but we had never heard of the idea, never had “plan”.

We just spent less than we earned, saved steadily, invested when we could, as much as we could. Our only vague idea of a “goal” was the knowledge that the more funds we had on retiring, the better.

Worked for us.
    Marg

19. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I agree - to a point. I think not having a 'finish line' can mean you don't end up with what you could have if you'd set a clear target.

For eg, we've got enough money. We 'want' to retire/have decent lifestyle choices by 50, but without really defining what that looks like and what we need to do to get there, there's a high probablilty that we'd have too much fun in the interim and never get there, even though we're well capable of it.

We also spend less than we earn, and save - but the unknown without a plan is whether you're actually doing enough?

I think that's where people don't progress - they think they're doing enough. Or, they aren't actually thinking that far ahead. Most people don't plan much past next week. :)

kierank and Property Twins like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It all comes down to how much do you want to maximise the probability of achieving your goals.

Taking the fly by the seat of your pants approach without any process in mind can certainly still yeild great outcomes.

BUT for me its all about which approach has the best chance to increase a person's probability of achieving their goals. And the science is clear on that.

There is alot of research that shows the people who achieve the most have a conscious process. Just 2 articles of many.

Goal Setting: 5 Science Backed Steps to Setting and Achieving Your Goals

Science Says Only 8 Percent of People Actually Achieve Their Goals. Here Are 7 Things They Do Differently

MWI, kierank, Lindsay_W and 1 other person like this.