Distance to Airport

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Mill, 8th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm doing suburb research looking into the distance to the usual amenities; rail, retail, CBD, education, airport etc.

As airports are a massive employment node (BNE over 20,000 jobs), I am trying to decide what is a good radius to live within to consider it a positive factor for the suburb. Being close to such an employment node would increase demand of that suburb but the airport noise is a big factor.

Close is good but too close is noisy. Bit of a double-edged sword.

My current estimate is:
    Less than 2kms is too close high noise (negative)
    2-10km close with acceptable noise (positive)
    Over 10km not close no noise (neutral)

I found a QLD government tool but it only showed road and rail noise corridors.

Does anyone have any recommendations of acceptable/preferred distances from an airport or tools/map of airport noise corridors?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

The airport areas have done well..clayified, Hamilton, hendra etc...
    Their location is great and that has probably what's driven a large portion of the growth. Certainly easy access to airport helps. I also like Australian tradecoast
    Australia TradeCoast - Wikipedia
    It's very new, but it's growing fast and expected to put on more weight along with the airport.
    Also with the impending cruise ship terminal around there, I would expect this to add more weight to this..but we are talking 5 years or more- ok for property as it a long term investment.
    On the flip side, as others note, the noise can bean issue. Some get used to it, others especially with pets find it tough. Brisbane airport is no longer a country town airport that shuts down when the sun sets..it's 24 hrs theaedays :)

6. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts on Airports. I find that most people who work at airports are shift workers (so they typically work several consecutive days on and have several consecutive days off). For shift shift workers, they probably don't mind commuting a further distance to work. Just in Sydney as an example, I live 1 hour drive from the airport and every house in my street as at least 1 person who works at the airport. My dad works at the airport and most of his work colleagues live at least 45 minutes drive away from the airport.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Do people actually want to live near airports? Investors seem to suggest this all the time but I honestly have never seen or heard any evidence to suggest its a factor that actual people take into account when buying or even renting.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I knew a few bods who had bought intentionally near Bankstown airport. OK, they were plane nuts & worked in the industry.

9. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Proximity to the airport is important to me. I travel 50% of the time.

That said, I don't want to live in or anywhere near a flight path and it's one of my checklist points when buying an IP.

10. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

Hi Yesburg,
    You need to manage the corridors rather than straight distance. Suburbs at right angles to active runways see very little noise. You can be 10km away (or more) if you are under the flightpath and get significant noise.

I am running a business that will answer exactly the types of questions you have. See the sample report I provided for another post (in WA).

Airports are big employment centres and increasingly favoured for logistics/commercial businesses. In Sydney there are increasingly residential precincts in this vicinity, but most other cities don't have much close to the airports in terms of residential developments.

New airports have the potential over the long term to create significant development hubs which could have a benefit to land prices over the long term (eg Badgerys, or West Wellcamp) but this is still not proven.

Have a look at my website and I am more than happy to do some analysis for you that takes into account noise from aircraft, traffic, rail, other sources where data is available. Or I can cheaply do measurement so there are no doubts (many of the noise maps for instance don't reflect the realities - only the plans). Measurement at an individual property also picks up noisy neighbours, dogs, industrial areas....

Attached Files:

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I think there is a big difference between being near an airport and under a flight path.

We bought a property 1.5kms from Coolangatta Airport (less than 5 minutes by car door to door). It was one of our 41 requirements when looking for a property as our next PPOR.

We get absolutely no aircraft nor airport noise. We are on the eastern side of the runway, on the coast and the sea breeze takes any noise away from us. In fact, we get more aircraft noise at our current PPOR and we are at least 20kms from Brisbane Airport (but under their flight paths).

Whereas, anyone north of the runway would get a lot of noise. Recently, I was up at Tugun (about 5 kms north of the airport) and I could shake hands with the captains as the planes came in to land (about 3 in 5 to 10 minutes).

For IPs, I wouldn't have being "close to an airport" as one of my criteria.

Big Will and Zoolander like this.
  12. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I have a unit at Mascot NSW. The noise is barely audible when windows are closed and planes dont fly at night so theres no sleep disruption. its more than liveable. Theres usually a couple of airport ground staff and stewards enquiring whenever tenants change but the bulk of residents seem to be students who get more value from a 2 station hop to the CBD.

Also the suburb seems out of the flightpath, checking on Google Maps. You'll hear takeoffs and landings but theyre muted, not overhead