Disillusioned with API magazine...

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Michael.Knight, 15th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Daisycutter4

Daisycutter4 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Our case studies get to read all drafts and see a PDF of the final page before the article is sent to the printer.

2. Daisycutter4

Sure do Steven. We do have some stories coming up about the downsides of investing and what people have learned from that.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  3. Daisycutter4

Well said

4. Daisycutter4

Yep. Opinions on strategies vary and conversations should be had. The PPOR gets included because, i guess despite the fact it is't earning a rental income, the equity often contributes to the households NPV and it's used as the kick-off equity for most portfolios. It's also often an investors first purchase so their motivations for getting into property can be linked to their PPOR.
    Thanks for the feedback. Always welcome.

5. Daisycutter4

We do have an advanced investor section in API, but the topics can vary from getting into commercial investment through to recovering after taking a financial hit. The difficult part of producing stories for this series is that, in many instances, the potential reader's interests are so broad. Do they want to go into development? Are they worries about breaking into REITs? Always looking for great Advanced Investor stories to run.

6. Daisycutter4

Well said Lisa. We have done occasional anonymous stories when they're educational/informative, however there is an element missing from stories when you can't put a face and name to them, so it's prefered when they aren't anonymous.

Lisa Parker likes this.
  7. Daisycutter4

Hi Bob,
    I've been pushing more involvement with readers to the owner of the mag, and Property Chat is a really obvious place to be involved in the conversation. Agree, we don't appeal to everyone, and that's of course fine, but I do want to make sure we spot where there are holes in the stories we're writing – I've already seen a few areas that can be tightened up.
    I'll check out the other forum – it's incredible to think places like this didn't exist not all that long ago.
    Cheers.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's a totally different area but they'd take guys out for the day and do videos of 4wd trips, they have a monthly video. That's a whole other side but if going more digital you could have more actual interviews or meetings, or even seminars linked to the digital version or online

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

API event nights where successful investors give presentations etc. Sell tickets. Like the event they hold annually.. that property investors expo and API has a stand. You could create your own mini events.

10. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I understand that - it isn't quite the same when we can't see the face and look into their eyes and relate to the real person. Would definitely be better if there were pictures. Not sure of ways around it, however if it was an avenue the magazine felt was worthwhile exploring I am sure the creatives there will think about various ways they could achieve the same outcomes.

Ozzie in Texas and Daisycutter4 like this.
  11. Daisycutter4

How cool would that be! Black tie only :)

Sackie likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its on my shopping list already!:D

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That's sexist! (I'll be the guy in thongs:D)

Daisycutter4 and Sackie like this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

She will love to hear that, whoever "she" is.... :)

15. dabbler

lol.....isn't this when you get to make up and get to remember how to do the dishes....err....you know what I mean

Northy85 likes this.
  16. dabbler

Well, I hope the disillusioned become enlightened, or the mag concentrates on the core target market, and not what is happening here on the forum, that would in a way, undercut the users here and Simon in some ways.

I ask a simple question, for those still building, do you really want even more competition ?

You may think, it will be better for ya all, but I beg to differ.

17. Michael.Knight

Michael.Knight Well-Known Member

Great answer - I never realised what goes on behind-the-scenes. It sounds like alot of work catering to the masses and advertisers... Yeah I understand its a balancing act, but sometimes API is tough to read due to the over-positivity... I think I'll just stick to this forum... Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Daisycutter4 likes this.
  18. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Great Idea! As long as there is no selling of education packages, BA services, etc at the end of it.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Daisycutter4

Noted!

20. joel

joel Well-Known Member

How about some case studies on people making money outside of VIC and NSW?