Dishwasher lessons

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by wylie, 1st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Great advice Paul. We've also learnt these things over the years and, this week, our tenant (and my hubby) tried all those easy fixes. We once paid a repairman $140(ish) to remove the filter at the base and remove an olive pip. That was an expensive olive pip, but also a very good lesson.

To be honest, after the last fiasco where a $30 part fixed the machine that (apparently) needed $650 worth of repairs (a few years ago now), I'm very sceptical of whatever any repairman tells me.

But the basic checks are worth doing, and luckily our tenant was happy to do them.

kierank likes this.
  2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hey,

When I read the title I thought you meant the tenant needed lessons on how to use the dishwasher...

We have a tenant that also complained the dishwasher wasn't working, it was still under warranty so the RE got them to go out and have a look. Turned out the tenant actually didn't know how to turn it on! We weren't charged at least and it's a dishlex. It's now about 6 years old (same tenant) and no further problems.

I hope you can get your sorted without too much expense.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lucky they didnt ask why the washing machine wasnt spinning their clothes.

kierank and Kassy like this.
  4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like me yesterday - we're staying in an apartment in Surfers at the moment, and I wanted to wash my daughters clothes. Turned all the dials on the washing machine, checked it was all turned on... nothing. Damn thing's broken I thought.

Called the wife over to have a little rant, and she lifts one of the dials up, and the thing turns on. She just smiled and walked away. I was convinced it was broken.. im just dumb lol.

Kassy and kierank like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

In the IP we bought last year, tenants moved in and dishwasher didn't work.

Our PM called out a technician and they found egg shells in the drain pipe. Yes, egg shells.

Obviously, the seller (it was the PPOR of a grumpy old lady) had removed the filter and inserted the egg shells in there. We are pretty sure it wasn't the tenants as they are lovely people with high integrity.

We were tempted to seek compensation from the seller but knew it was a waste of time and money.

6. kierank

I am also sceptical of what any repair-woman tells me.

I was going to say 'more sceptical' but I thought that would get me into trouble :) :).

7. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

The three Bosch dishwashers I have seem to be pretty tenant bulletproof.

However, whilst I normally think extended warranties/service contracts are a rort. I did have a $500 Haeir (now own F&P) which was a terribly noisy machine for my tenants. However, since it was so cheap, the five year extended warranty was also cheap and they got called at least 3 times. No cost and then I threw it out.

Unless very high end, I am reluctant to pay a lot to repair a dishwasher as it generally makes sense to replace financially.

However this is one appliance where those extended warranty / service contracts could make sense....

8. wylie

*Groan*... repairperson... is that better? :p

P.S. I've never had a repairwoman for any appliance yet.

kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

I knew my PC (political correctness) would upset you :) :).

The technician who found the egg shells was female.

10. wylie

I'm not upset, hence the poked out tongue. I've met you... remember. I know you are a very nice man. :D

kierank likes this.
  11. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Sellers of my friend's house swapped to old/non-functioning aircon & dishwasher after selling :eek:. Aircon was caught at pre-settlement inspection and got some money back but they found out about dishwasher much later. It wasnt even connected, they spent some money to be connected but to find it not working... after that story, I lost faith in humanity a little bit .. coincidence or what, appliances at my ip were broken down/found not to be working by new tenants...:confused:

kierank likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is a common story... I've had the same. Partner wanted to take our new (maybe 12 month old) dishwasher to our new home as it was really quiet... I said don't. In any case the dishwasher at our new home is still a good one, only slightly more noisy.

13. namrata

namrata Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair person for a dishwasher?? I know, everyone says just buy a new one but if it can be fixed for a reasonable price I would rather do that.

14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

15. namrata

namrata Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

Does anyone know if there is a company that you can get a warranty for a property for repairs? In the US you can buy a service for say $500/year that covers repairs for dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, refrigerator and A/C repairs.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

RACQ have a callout service (price is per house per annum) but I dont recall whether it covers appliances. See their website.

17. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Why does the $1 man not go around look at dead machines , say it will cost $300 to fix that only cost $30 to fix ?

18. wylie

I'm not sure I understand the question. I sold it to him after the repair company quoted me a higher cost than a brand new machine.

If you mean why doesn't he quote high and rip people off... probably because he is an honest repairman?

The repair company could have repaired it for $30, but they either were clueless or were simply going to spend $30 but charge me several hundred dollars. I've no idea. The repairer I sold it to for $1 was to save us having to dump it. I've no problem that he scored a machine that he likely may have made some money on at all. He didn't need to tell me either. He was probably annoyed that the company I'd used were giving all repairmen a bad name and letting me know so I could complain to them, which I did.

Beano likes this.
  19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Maybe I am crazy, but I rinse dinner plates and heavily soiled saucepans before putting them in the dishwasher - might be the reason I haven't had to call a repairman ... :)

Phar Lap likes this.
  20. Clueless86

Clueless86 Member

Same! I like things semi clean before going in dishwasher.

In our investment we have an IKEA fully intergrated dishwasher that is going on 5 years. Had 1 problem early on, (touch wood) but whirlpool are the parent company and was covered under warranty. All the appliances in that house are ikea actually, all same age and no problems (induction cooktop, oven and rangehood).

For our current investment-to-be, have picked up a dishwasher from Bunnings (discontinued stock + trade discount = cheap, however, yet to be installed o_O)