Dishwasher - installed by tenants.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ami Henshaw, 5th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ami Henshaw

Ami Henshaw New Member

I have tenants that are wanting to put a dishwasher in. I have said no to supplying as the maintenance has been an issue with past tenants. There is already an empty space for it and all fittings are there.
    Tenants are willing to purchase and install themselves, also providing any maintenance to it and will take it when they leave.
    My question, is there any legal reason this cannot be done, apart from me not agreeing to it? Am I allowed to decline?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd be allowed to decline anyway.

Ironically, purporting to give them 'permission' to do it is probably the riskiest part of the whole thing.

Perp and Stoffo like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Since there is space, and all fittings, you probably cannot refuse permission to install a dishwasher.

Sort of like saying the tenants can’t install a washing machine. Similar scenario.

Why refuse? If the tenants own and install, they are responsible for any maintenance. Like their washing machine.

iloveqld, Stoffo and wylie like this.
  4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Most landlords would just provide a dishwasher.

5. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Yes, have you seen the end result when a hose blows off and it floods out the entire kitchen. I would ask them to have it professionally installed and make sure it's a new one.

Perp, Scaphella, The Gambler and 3 others like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^ Bingo.

Antoni0 likes this.
  7. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Weird story - I had tenants who moved out at very short notice, owing rent, and stole the landlord-provided dishwasher. When the final inspection was done, the PM advised me it would be taken out of their bond. At the first open home for new tenants, the old tenants turned up with a replacement brand new dishwasher and installed it. No explanation, nothing. It's worked fine ever since.

Tom Rivera, Perp and HUGH72 like this.
  8. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

And when they leave, make sure they replace (or plug) the s-trap under the sink, otherwise you will get leakage thru this when dishwasher drain hose is removed.

Propertunity, Perp, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  9. Antoni0

Yep, had that happen too, PM sent out a pulmber when the new tenants complained of a leak.

I haven't looked recently but one of the REA's I had put a clause in the lease that they need to turn off all taps if they go away from the property for more than 1 week.

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

That's nice...a new dishwasher for a old.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Good point, I have seen this happen as well.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Most tenants wouldn't be capable of installation would they ?
    Stop into Harvey Norman, buy dishwasher, pay the extra $50 for delivery and installation = done :D
    Hoses blowing can happen to anyone at any time, when was the last time all the toilet flexible hoses were changed at my home :oops:

13. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

They probably stole the new one from somewhere too....!

14. Antoni0

Not much different from a washing machine as most newer houses are designed for dishwashers and have the taps in the cupboard, but on first installation you usually have to drill out the barbed waste water pipe on the s-bend of the sink and a whole saw cut to run hoses into the cupboard area. I had a tenant cut the s-bend return pipe with a kitchen knife and removed the end of the barb that holds the hose from falling off and then installed the inlet hose on the tap without a seal and wondered why it leaked water everywhere.

15. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Seen this happen and on wooden floors. Sounds simple enough to install but can be catastrophic if you don’t get it perfect.

Antoni0 likes this.
  16. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Some of my tenants can't even change a light globe, so I would never give permission without insisting on professional installation. (Even then I would follow up and inspect post installation to satisfy myself all is okay).

Antoni0 and Perp like this.
  17. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You are going to manhandle a dishwasher out of its space to see the hose is not crimped and bring a screwdriver to make sure the hose clips are tight but not over tight? .... methinks not. :cool:

18. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Would I pull the dishwasher out to check the back? No. But I definitely would check the drain connection to the S-trap and the water connection to the undersink isolating tap(s) as well as running the dishwasher through a cycle to check for leaks.

I wouldn't need to do this if they showed evidence it was professionally installed, but I would if they were doing it themselves.

I made the comment on many tenants not knowing how to change a light globe. The same is true of the small taps under the sink in that many tenants are totally unaware that they can turn these off to isolate a leak. (I know this from the blank looks I get when I run a new tenant thru all aspects of the property when I handover keys at the start of a tenancy.)

19. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Many dishwashers and washing machines have automatic water supply cutouts to minimise damage through burst pipes. It is something I insist on for home and ip.

Antoni0 likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.