disgruntled tenants = possible sabotage ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by AxeLy, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi my fellow members,

I prefer to think of the good of the human race, but there is this particular specie that would do mean things to you even if you treat them good.

For a large part of the past 2020 year, my PM and I had to deal with this poo-like tenant who had gamed the covid rulings and dragged us through the **** pool with all their nonsense.

My PM had made application to the consumer affairs to evict them. If we are successful .... and I believe we will be this time, my wife would move into this property to live.

I have to ensure that the IP is still safe and good to live in.

The poo-like tenant would be disgruntled with the eviction. I doubt they'd have the mood to flex their latin dance moves in front of my PM again. Probably more $xx%%$## foul language spewing out of their foul mouths... but I am seriously concerned about what they might do to sabotage my house.

(I had heard of disgruntled tenants who threw rubbish down the water pipes and toilet bowls to clog them)

Does any of you have such encounters or heard of sabotages by vacating tenants ? Please share with me so that I can be better prepared ..

Thanking you in advance.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is this the house we're discussing in the other thread?

Do you have landlord and general insurance?

Sylvia, AxeLy and Joynz like this.
  3. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Yes. same house. We have landlord insurance but covers only major damage from fire, flood, etc.

4. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

You should video it and put it on a current affair for a good laugh.

I've found Insurances are pretty much a waste of time for petty damage and insurance companies know this.

AxeLy likes this.
  5. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

I did request for my PM to video their showmanship but she said she would get into trouble with that. Already with the multiple breaches sent to them, this poo-like tenants had turned the table and threatened to report PM to vcat for harassment.

Classic case of The Pot Calling The Kettle Black.

Antoni0 likes this.
  6. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

same sentiment.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if your landlord insurance didn’t cover malicious damage by tenants.

Which insurer are you with?

And there is always the bond.

Just leave it with your PM - since you think they are doing a good job.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2021
    wylie, AxeLy and Stoffo like this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd want to be present when the PM does the exit report and video from greeting outside until leaving.

Flushing toilets and running showers, checking lights, cooktop, oven and dishwasher operation, closing curtains and looking at both sides, flyscreens, door operation, everything you can possibly think of...

Sounds like the PM has been good, but I'd still email them stating your concerns and request that the bond not be released until you are happy (as you expect the bond won't cover the expected damage), have them email the tenant what is req'd for exit as per lease for the upcoming exit inspection, cleaning and such, it might be the push they need to do the right thing

Still, you might be surprised

Sylvia, wylie and AxeLy like this.
  9. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

With Allianz.
    Malicious damage is easy to prove, and should be able to deduct from bond.
    However, it's the stealthy ones that I have to look out for.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If your tenant was to properly clean the place and video it empty and clean, then 5 min later trash it and hand the keys in (being vindictive).

3+ days later the PM goes to do the inspection, tenant provides video and claims you did it to get back at them (or someone else did it)..........

What then, how do you prove it was the tenant ?

Sylvia and AxeLy like this.
  11. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Thanks Stoffo.
    I am adding them to my checklist.
    PM is good but she is running her RE business single-handedly. I'd probably engage a tradie to accompany her to cover the checks.
    Wife would fly back only after the IP interior is fixed up and cleaned. Then the furniture goes in, and the exterior moderately spruced up functionally and aesthetically.

I don't like surprises. Especially not from such exiting tenant.

Oh yes. I almost forgot to include bottles of Air Fresheners.
    and my wife would bring along all her essential oils and diffusers to purify the whole place.

12. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

OH. I didn't think of this. What is the best course of action to prevent this ?

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Have the PM meet them on site late on the last day of lease to collect the keys from them.
    Once the then former tenant leaves the PM can do the exit report whilst there.

Letter drop (mail) to neighbors might be an idea, asking if they can keep an eye on the place for the next week (as the former tenant has vacated) or two, if they hear any vandalism or see non trades vehicles there out of hours to pls call the police
    They will probably be happy the problem has moved on

AxeLy, Sylvia and wylie like this.
  14. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Thanks Stoffo.
    Will request for PM to follow this sequence.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would definitely plan to get a locksmith in and change the locks once they have handed the keys in. Then there is no way for them to go back and you know your wife is the only one with a set of keys.

wylie, AxeLy and Stoffo like this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Even spend the extra for a digital lock, so the code can be changed between trades, some allow this to be done remotely.

Saves leaving a key out or installing a lock box for keys (or trades taking keys with them).

We had trouble with the partners ex, best thing I did was a code door lock, every few weeks I'd change the code (no keys or lock changes).

AxeLy likes this.
  17. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster.
    The Lock. Yes. This is important.

18. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

This is common with apartments but I haven't seen the digital lock used on the old houses within the neighbourhood. Let me explore this option. Thanks Stoffo.

19. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If a tenant wants to stuff you up, they can real easy. Most insurances don't cover repairs by the tenants as malicious damage and then there are the other issues like below.
    I had a tenant with a kid that had ADHS and got a biro and scrawled all over the walls in every part of the house, the bond barely covered all the other damage they had done and to clean the home.

Capture34.PNG

AxeLy likes this.
  20. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

The lazy irresponsible ex-PM who dumped this poo-tenant into my IP had indicted "scuff marks on the walls" on the entry condition report. No photos.
    Current good PM had pre-warned me that even if poo-tenant leaves graffiti or expletives on the walls, with no photos to compare with, this will be subjected to disputes and hard for us to claim from bond.
    When PM did her rounds of inspection, the house was so cluttered that she wasn't able to take any photo of the "scuff marks" walls. Given that poo-tenants were full of expletives whenever they saw my PM, it would not be surprising that they leave their legacy on the walls for us.