QLD Discuss: Petrie, Kallangur, Murrumba Downs, Mango Hill, Rothwell, Kippa-Ring

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by fumid, 18th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Anyone has idea about the new light rail stop, Kallangur, Murrumba Downs, Mango Hill, Rothwell, Kippa-Ring, also Petrie, in Moreten Bay area.
    Which suburb you reckon has big potential and/or good rental yield, and if you choose to live in any of the above suburbs, which one it will be?
    Or their neighbour suburb?

2. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

Depends on what you are looking for.
    Are you living there or trying to invest? What's your price limit? What cash-flow can you maintain?

In the Redcliffe peninsula area (Kippa -Ring/ Scarborough/Clontarf/ Redcliffe) you want to get as close to the water as possible, East of Oxley Ave is ideal with the strongest growth potential according to people on here. However the houses there are generally older and there is not much depreciation to claim to help you hold the property.

Rothwell is somewhere where there are newer 5-10 year old properties with depreciation. Plenty of shops nearby, short drive to North Lakes/Redcliffe and the train to open soon.

There will be a new university going in sometime in the future near Petrie so that's another thing to consider.

fumid likes this.
  3. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

It can be for self living or investment, depreciation not important for me, have no problem with cash flow, but still prefer good rental return and capital growth.

I am looking at this area for new light rail, Uni plan, close to water, and north lakes new shopping area.

Is any of those suburbs has bad reputation?

If people choose to live, which ones they would like to go and which ones they will avoid?

norwoodman likes this.
  4. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Won't find light rail in this area, I think you mean the new commuter rail line to Kippa-Ring.

5. rookie101

rookie101 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I'll contribute to your qualitative research lol!
    My PPOR is in North Lakes.
    North Lakes had a small surge when westfield annouced Ikea and another extension were going ahead. It has flattened now as people await the new event cinemas opening in march and rail by Dec. ikea will bring alot of interest also. Locals are very excited about the westfield projects.
    I also know alot of business owners here.
    The clientele are affluent with many overseas migrants (white sth African and uk). A local coffee shop just opened at mango hill which turns over 30k per week. The drive through Gloria jeans here is also the best performing profit wise in the country. Crime is moderate at the back of the estate due to easy deception bay access.
    Dbday is very much still low socio (mt druitt style).
    Mango hill is ever expanding and is attractive for those priced out of NL. The mango hill state school is very reputable within north lakes and people will lie to say they are in the catchment or move within catchment to enrol their children.
    Kallangur, kippa ring, redcliffe is very low socio and has a shocking reputation. The Lakers steer clear. An estate called Alma heights at dakabin is doing really well as it has new houses and direct access to north lakes shops across plantation road.
    In north lakes get as close to westfield as you can in the first estate. No round abouts and close to the train

SStar, 733 and fumid like this.
  6. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

These things are not near each other, North Lakes it 12km from the bayside for example. The bayside is 15km+ from the (proposed only/ not approved) uni site.

In addition, the spread in properties in each of the suburbs listed is huge. From new build houses to masses of decade old townhouses to post war weatherboard and everything in between.

What are you looking for...and at what kind of budget?

7. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Excellent local advice.

733 and rookie101 like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's not far away now.
    Will be good for the area.

9. rookie101

Freshwater, Crestwood

BarneyRubble likes this.
  10. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, the new rail line:)

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I plan to travel to Brissy for research...is 2 days enough to cover north and south of brissy? Obviously, meeting up with Qlders of PC would be cool.

12. rookie101

Yeah i think exploring west also might be a stretch.

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@rookie101 well done on your purchase. do share numbers when the deal is sealed. I think a couple of days every few months should help me.

14. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

This is very helpful, so can go north lakes near Westfield, Mango Hills, How about Petrie, Murrumba Downs, Rothwell? OK as well?

15. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand it's not close but in the circle.
    I am looking for good rental return and capital growth, budge can be from 250k to 800k, prefer not more than 600k, for if too expensive, not sure if I can sell it later easily.

16. rookie101

Rothwell low socio.
    Murrumba middle class and low value as everyone who lives there just comes into north lakes for schooling and shopping. Petrie low socio

17. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

larry, I am going to Brisbane next week for 2 weeks, do you want join me?

18. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Rookie, what "low socio" mean? and what "NL" mean?
    So north lakes, Mango hills and Murrumba Downs is good choice.

19. rookie101

Low socio = low socioeconomic. Unemployed, rough areas. Lots of welfare

fumid likes this.
  20. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think the areas of Kippa-Ring near the train station, hospital and shopping centre are quite good. Areas closer to the coast in Redcliffe have had a spurt of growth. Yields are also lower.

Kallangur is good because of the planned University.

Avoid areas of suburbs that are at the extents or timely to access. Many people like to be within a couple of minutes drive of a main road, shops and other amenities like Cafes or a corner store.

( for a good example of bad urban design, look at Glenmore Park in Sydney - one of the worst suburbs I know to get into and out of. An absolute maze. Takes forever to navigate and get anywhere. Good intentions of keeping traffic at a respectable speed but just not practical )

ej89 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia