Discuss best Granny Flat building solution

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by fumid, 22nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 5080

5080 Active Member

Alibaba.com and search container houses :)

2. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I think the best solution if you are DIY is to start off with one of these kits.

Granny Flat Designs | Best Granny Flats

There are additional costs such as the foundations and floor, along with the entire fit out.

Purchasing used kitchens and supplies from Gumtree and warehouses will result in a very cheap Granny Flat. Friends of mine recently built one, similar to the link but from a local Newcastle company for 20k all up. They have their son and daughter in law living there but it would rent for around $250/week...not a bad return :cool:

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can you buy one or do you have to buy 50?

4. 5080

5080 Active Member

If you have a look at the settings you can set the parameters of the search and possibly find an option for MOQ - Minimum order quantity, change this to 1 if possible, if not then send them an email and ask what their MOQ is. I often tell them I would like to inspect it before ordering larger numbers etc.
    The other great thing with the site is that when you make a payment for an item the money goes to Alibaba itself and then they keep hold of it until the goods arrive and then you have about 60 days to confirm the item is as described and in good order and condition etc etc, then they release the money to the seller.
    They have other services like an independent factory audit, at a cost. But if you find one you would really like to buy I would actually arrange for a visit myself on a large purchase of this value, and go to the factory and look at everything beforehand, with the money saved you can use this for a holiday, flights and accommodation.

I have found a reputable manufacturer that makes aluminium scaffolding that I want to purchase from. A guy I met on the scaffolding course I am doing at the moment just brought in 3 x 40ft containers of scaffold from China all with relevant Australian Standards and certification.

Any thing in Bunnings can be found on there within 10 mins!

Just remember you will have to pay 10% GST and 5% import tax on anything over $1000 AUD, plus paperwork fees for customs clearance and delivery charges, but at those prices it is still often vastly cheaper.

Cheers

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Is it honestly worth putting in any sort of GF considering the rebuild in a few years?

Archaon and Gingin like this.
  6. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Do you know how much it cost? 2 bedrooms 60SQM?

7. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

yes, that's why i only think about a very cheap cost, if it's removable, can sell or move it as well.

8. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

a 40HQ? L:12.056m 39' 6 ½ W:2.347m 7' 8 ¼ H:2.684m 8' 5½
    28 sqm? Or more than one container?

9. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Cost them $20,000 all up. Kit was $12,500 and then they did the foundations/floor and fit out for $7,500.Note this is all DIY and second hand bathroom/kitchen.

If you were paying someone to do it and fitting out with new kitchen/bath your looking at closer to $50,000

fumid likes this.
  10. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

1-6m high cube and a brick garage I built before hand, the price of the garage was also factored into that fully built price.

You could not build one in aus for cheaper than China no way. But I have no idea how expensive the rest of the imports delivery and so forth would cost.

Most of the components in mine were of good quality new or excellent quality second hand I didn't use any fixtures or fittings from a scrapyard.

fumid likes this.
  11. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

That's true, I am thinking about if I import a 2 bedrooms modular granny, and ask someone to put the foundation and connect the pipe for bathrooms etc, it can save a lot of money.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Which one are you looking at importing?
    How much does it cost to ship over here?

13. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

15. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

You would need to allow a kitchen and bathroom, I dont think that will fit in one GF, I think you need two together?

16. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Those Best Granny Flats look great for a granny flat. I wonder what they would cost all up including site fees and delivery.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

For a cabin it would be Ok.
    Just have a BBQ/fire outside.

18. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

The modelling house is quite cheap from China, installation not hard at all, but the electricity and plumper connection may cause a lot of money.
    Who can advise when building a cabin/granny flat, how much for electricity and plumper fees?

19. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

This company actually import from China, I think they charge installation fees and connection fees similar with cabin fees. for example 2 bedrooms 50k cabin fee and 50k installation fees and connection fees.

20. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

some of them have include kitchen and bathroom like this
    Two Bedroom - Asset Cabins